- Speech Perception Over Time (SPOT) Reseach Study
- The goal of the Speech Perception Over Time (SPOT) study is to examine how infants’ discrimination abilities shortly following hearing aid fittings is related to later language development. We are currently investigating this relationship in infants with and without hearing loss.
- Watch Dr. Uhler explain the study on YouTube. The video features an interview with principal researcher Kristin Uhler, Ph.D. and Amber Duffy, our northern Colorado Parent Guide for Colorado Hands & Voices.
- Learn more about the study by contacting:
The SPOT team at 385-350-3271 or the team email is SPOT@ucdenver.edu
Dr. Uhler’s office number is 303-724-9262 and her email is Kristin.Uhler@ucdenver.edu
- Clinical Office:
- Children's Hospital
13065 East 17th Avenue
Aurora CO 80045
- Academic Office:
- 12631 E. 17th Avenue, B205
Aurora, CO 80045
- Hospital Affiliations:
- University of Colorado Hospital
Children's Hospital Colorado
- Clinical Specialties:
- Infant Speech Perception and Linguistics
- (1998) BA, University of Northern Colorado, Communication Disorders and Speech Sciences
- (2000) MA, University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences
- (2008) PhD, University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences
Uhler, K, Burns, S, Dalpes, M. & Yoshinaga-Itano, C (2011). An Auditory Spoken Language Matrix for Differential Diagnosis of Spanish-speaking Children Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, Special interest group 14, communication disorders and sciences in culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
Uhler, K, Yoshinaga-Itano, C., Gabbard, S.A., Rothpletz, A., & Jenkins, H.A. (2011). Longitudinal Infant Speech Perception in Young Cochlear Implant Users. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 3, 129-142.
Jenkins, HA, Uhler, K (2012): Speech Perception Comparisons of the Otologics Implanted Carina™ and the Freedom™ Microphones in Cochlear Implant Patients. Otol Neurotol., 33(1):13-19.
Uhler, K., Thomson, V., Cyr, N., Gabbard, S.G., & Yoshinaga-Itano, C. (2013). State and Territory EHDI databases: what we do and don't know about the hearing or audiological data from identified children. American Journal of Audiology, 13-0015. (Chosen as exemplary paper for American Speech-Language and Hearing Association CEUs.)
Uhler, K. & Gifford, R. (2014). Establishing current standards of care in pediatric cochlear implant candidacy and follow up. American Journal of Audiology, 23 (3) 309-325.
Uhler, K., Baca, R., Dudas, E., & Fredrickson, T. (2015). Refining stimulus parameters in assessing infant speech perception using visual reinforcement infant speech discrimination: Sensation level. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 26, 807-814.
Uhler, K, Heringer, A, Thompson, N &Yoshinaga-Itano, C (2012). A tutorial on auditory neuropathy/dyssynchrony for the speech-language pathologist and audiologist, Seminars in Speech and Language, 33, 354-366.
Uhler, K. Beiver, A., &Gifford, R. (in press). Does method of presentation impact pediatric word recognition scores: Monitored live voice versus recorded speech? Otol Neurotol
Jenkins HA & Uhler K. (2014). Otologics Active Middle Ear Implant, Otolaryngology Clinics of North America, Eds. Driscol C & Neff B.
American Academy of Audiology
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Dr. Uhler is involved in research related to: Implantable devices and Speech perception.
Speech Perception Over Time - SPOT
In this video from Colorado Hands & Voices, Parent Guide Amber Duffy chats with Dr. Kristin Uhler about SPOT.