The Child Trauma Program provides evidence-based mental health assessment and treatment for children and families who have experienced difficult or traumatic life events.
Current Clinical Services:
Clinical services are available at no cost to children and families who qualify to participate in one of our clinical research trials.
Our current trial is SafeStart Aurora, which provide free clinical services to over 400 children and families in Aurora and the Denver metro area. Families who qualify receive one of two services:
1) Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), or 2) TF-CBT plus “AFFECT” (see below for service description and eligibility.)
How do I know if my child/family/client is eligible?
Experienced a difficult/traumatic event (sexual abuse, physical abuse, neglect, witness domestic violence, car accident, medical procedures/diagnosis/injury, death of a loved one)
Between the ages of 5-12
What is TF-CBT?
A short-term, evidence-based treatment for children (aged 3-18) who have experienced traumatic events and their supportive caregivers
- Highly effective for improving child trauma-related symptoms (e.g., PTSD, depression, behavior problems, feelings of guilt/shame), parenting skills, and caregiver distress
- TF-CBT is typically delivered in 12-16 sessions
- Caregivers play an active role in treatment
- TF-CBT has been used with diverse families and has well-developed cultural modifications for Lation Families
- TF-CBT effectiveness is supported by ten completed randomized clinical trials.
To learn more about TF-CBT, click NCTSN’s fact sheet of visit: www.musc.edu/tfcbt and www.musc.edu/ctg
AFFECT (A Family Focused Emotion Communication Training Program) is a brief, evidence-informed treatment module that teaches caregivers specific emotion communication skills for talking with their children about trauma and other emotionally-arousing topics. The goal is to enhance parents’ abilities to support their children in treatment. AFFECT communication training is integrated into the child’s and family’s treatment (i.e., TF-CBT ).