As part of our educational outreach mission, the University of Colorado Department of Pediatrics and Children’s Hospital Colorado have established an International Trainee Observership Program aimed at medical students or pediatric trainees from abroad, who are seeking an opportunity to learn and gain experiences in pediatric specialties with the intent to give back to their institution and community in their home country.
Our international trainee observer program provides a shadowing experience that allows participants to attend patient rounds, teaching conferences and to interact with faculty, residents and medical students. It also gives observers an opportunity to learn about the United States medical system in a world-class freestanding children’s hospital. The clinical experiences of this educational program do not include direct patient care.
Disclaimer: Being accepted for an observership rotation with our institution does not constitute or imply an endorsement by our residency or fellowship programs and their participating faculty. Application approval and participation in a rotation does not guarantee an invitation to interview for a residency or fellowship position. In addition, availability for a preferred subspecialty is at the discretion of each division that must take into consideration the division’s resources and the needs of learners already involved in the department.
How to Apply For an Observership
- Make sure you qualify as international observer:
- Medical student from abroad
- Pediatric or family medicine physician in training
- International Physician or Researcher
- Please refer to the schedule below and identify a rotation period that is most appropriate for you.
- Complete the online application and submit all required documents before the application close date, May 15, 2016
- In the online application, you can choose up to three rotations in order of priority within a rotation period.
- Rotations are one month in duration and you may submit only one application during a 12-month period.
- Any observer who is approved for a rotation will receive an email with instructions. It is extremely important to read the expectations and FAQs section of the website if you are approved.
- There is a one hundred dollar ($100.00) registration fee that needs to be paid in the form of a check or money order by the first day of the observership.
**Open Enrollment is now closed**
We are only accepting applications for the remainder of the 2016-2017 academic year through faculty consideration.
|May 15, 2016
||September, October, November 2016
||January, February, March 2017
||April, May, June 2017|
|Deadline to complete
|For 1st rotation period
July 1, 2016
|For 2nd rotation period
November 1, 2016
|For 3rd rotation period|
February 1, 2017
*Applicants should carefully review their schedules before applying. No changes are allowed once the application is submitted.