Joe McCord, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver
Pulmonary Sciences & Critical Care Medicine
Education & Training
Rhodes College, Memphis, TN
1966 B.S. Chemistry
Duke University, Durham, NC
1970 Ph.D. Biochemistry
1970-1 Postdoc. Biochemistry
Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center
Associate in Experimental Medicine and Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center
Assistant Medical Research Professor of Medicine and Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of South Alabama
Professor and Co?Chairman, Department of Biochemistry, University of South Alabama
Professor and Chairman, Department of Biochemistry, University of South Alabama College of Medicine
Professor of Medicine, Professor of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado Denver
Head, Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Webb-Waring Institute
Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Colorado Denver
- J.M. McCord and I. Fridovich, Superoxide Dismutase: an Enzymic Function for Erythrocuprein (Hemocuprein), J. Biol. Chem. 244: 6049-6055 (1969).
- B.B. Keele, Jr., J.M. McCord and I. Fridovich, Superoxide Dismutase from Escherichia coli B: A New Manganese-Containing Enzyme, J. Biol. Chem. 245:6176-6181 (1970).
- J.M. McCord, B.B. Keele, Jr., and I. Fridovich, An Enzyme-Based Theory of Obligate Anaerobiosis: The Physiological Function of Superoxide Dismutase, Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci. USA 68:1024-1027 (1971).
- J.M. McCord, Free Radicals and Inflammation: Protection of Synovial Fluid by Superoxide Dismutase, Science 185:529-531 (1974).
- M.L. Salin and J.M. McCord, Free Radicals and Inflammation: Protection of Phagocytosing Leukocytes by Superoxide Dismutase, J. Clin. Invest. 56:1319-1323 (1975).
- J.M. McCord and E.D. Day, Jr., Superoxide-Dependent Production of Hydroxyl Radical Catalyzed by Iron-EDTA Complex, FEBS Lett. 86:139-142 (1978).
- W.F. Petrone, D.K. English, K. Wong and J.M. McCord, Free Radicals and Inflammation: Superoxide-Dependent Activation of a Neutrophil Chemotactic Factor in Plasma, Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 77:1159-1163 (1980).
- D.N. Granger, G. Rutili and J.M. McCord, Superoxide Radicals in Feline Intestinal Ischemia, Gastroenterology 81:22-29 (1981).
- J.M. McCord, Oxygen-Derived Free Radicals in Post-Ischemic Tissue Injury, New Eng. J. Med. 312:159-163 (1985).
- J.M. McCord and I. Fridovich, Superoxide Dismutase: An Enzymic Function for Erythrocuprein (Hemocuprein), [reprinted from J. Biol. Chem. 244:6049-6055 (1969) as a Landmark Classic Paper] J. NIH Res. 1:111-120 (1989).
- B.A. Omar, N.M. Gad, M.C. Jordan, S.P. Striplin, W.J. Russell, J.M. Downey and J.M. McCord, Cardioprotection by Cu,Zn-Superoxide Dismutase Is Lost at High Doses in the Reoxygenated Heart, Free Radical Biol. Med. 9:465-471 (1990).
- S.C. Flores, J.C. Marecki, K.P. Harper, S.K. Bose, S.K. Nelson, and J.M. McCord, Tat protein of human immuno-deficiency virus type 1 represses expression of manganese superoxide dismutase in HeLa cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:7632?7636 (1993).
- J.M. McCord, Mutant mice, Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase, and motor neuron degeneration. Science 266:1586?1587 (1994).
- S.K. Nelson, S.K. Bose, and J.M. McCord, The toxicity of high-dose superoxide dismutase suggests that superoxide can both initiate and terminate lipid peroxidation in the reperfused heart, Free Radical Biol. Med. 16:195-200 (1994).
- M. Sève, A. Favier, M. Osman, D. Hernandez, G. Vaitaitis, N.C. Flores, J.M. McCord and S.C. Flores, The human immunodeficiency virus-1 Tat protein increases cell proliferation, alters sensitivity to zinc chelator-induced apoptosis and changes Sp1 DNA binding in HeLa cells. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 361: 165?172 (1999).
- D.M. Guidot and J.M. McCord, Walking a tightrope: The balance between mitochondrial generation and scavenging of superoxide anion, in: E. Cadenas and L. Packer, (eds.), Understanding the Process of Aging, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, pp. 17-38 (1999).
- J.M. McCord, S.K. Bose, and B. Gao, Iron, oxidative stress, the HFE gene, and lung cancer, in: A. Favier, R. Anderson and A. Roussel, (eds.), Trace Elements in Man and Animal, Plenum, London, in press (1999).
- B. Gao, S.C. Flores, S.K. Nelson, and J.M. McCord, A heparin-binding SOD with enhanced therapeutic efficacy, in M. Edeas, (ed.), Superoxide Dismutases: Recent Advances and Clinical Applications, Editions Mel-Paris, Paris, pp. 177-180 (1999).
- J.M. McCord, Evolution of free radicals and oxidative stress. Am. J. Med. 108: 652-659 (2000).
- C. Quijano, D. Hernandez-Saavedra, L. Castro, J.M. McCord, B.A. Freeman and Rafael Radi, Reaction of peroxynitrite with Mn-superoxide dismutase: role of the metal center in decomposition kinetics and nitration. J. Biol. Chem. 276: 11631-11638 (2001).
- J.M. McCord, Superoxide dismutase in aging and disease: An overview. Meth. Enzymol. 349: 331-341 (2002).
- J.M. McCord, Oxidative Stress Related Diseases - Overview, in: H. Rodriguez and R. Cutler (eds.), Oxidative Stress and Aging: Advances in Basic Science, Diagnostics, and Intervention, World Scientific Pub. Co. (2002).
- S.K. Nelson, B. Gao, S. Bose, M. Rizeq and J.M. McCord, A novel mutant human Mn-superoxide dismutase improves myocardial preservation and protects from ischemia/reperfusion injury. J. Heart Lung Transplant. in press, (2002).
- J.C. Marecki and J.M. McCord, The inhibition of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase enhances growth rates of ataxia telangiectasia cells. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 402: 227-234 (2002).
- M.P. Look, K. Krämer, J.K. Rockstroh, J.M. McCord and L. Packer, High-dose nutraceuticals in human immunodeficiency virus-disease. An understudied option? Curr. Topics Nutraceut.Res. 1: 1-16 (2003).
- W.H. Cerwinka, C.F. Krieglstein, C.R. Ross, J.M. McCord and D.N. Granger, Superoxide mediates endotoxin-induced platelet-endothelial cell adhesion in intestinal venules. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 284: H535-H541 (2003).
- I.N. Hines, J.M. Hoffman, H. Scheerens, B.J. Day, H. Harada, K.P. Pavlick, S. Bharwani, R. Wolf, B. Gao, S.C. Flores, J.M. McCord and M.B. Grisham, Regulation of Post-Ischemic Liver Injury Following Different Durations of Ischemia, Am. J. Physiol.Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 284:G536-G545 (2003).
- D. Hernandez-Saavedra and J.M. McCord, Paradoxical effects of thiol reagents on Jurkat cells and a new thiol-sensitive mutant form of human mitochondrial superoxide dismutase, Cancer Res. 63: 159-163 (2003).
- B. Gao, S.C. Flores, J.A. Leff, S.K. Bose, and J.M. McCord, Synthesis and anti-inflammatory activity of a chimeric recombinant superoxide dismutase: SOD2/3, Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 284: L917-L925 (2003).