Michael T. McDermott M.D.
Professor of Medicine and Clinical Pharmacy, Endocrinology and Diabetes Practice Director
Dr. McDermott spent 20 years in the U.S. Army, during which time he served as the Chief of the Endocrinology Service and Director of the Endocrinology Fellowship program at Fitzsimons Army Medical Center and as the Endocrinology Consultant to the Surgeon General. His clinical research interests include the treatment of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus, the treatment of osteoporosis and related metabolic bone diseases and the pathophysiology of disorders of the thyroid gland. His basic research interests have included studying the molecular events underlying the development of thyroid and pituitary tumors.
- McDermott MT , ed. Endocrine Secrets (5th edition). Philadelphia : Elsevier, 2009.
- Denberg T, McDermott MT : A patient outreach program between visits improves diabetes care: a pilot study. International Journal for Quality in Health Care. 2009.
- Denberg T, McDermott MT. An outreach intervention increases bone densitometry testing in older women. J Am Geriatric Soc. 2008.
- Vande Griend JP, Linnebur SA, Ruscin JM, Vondracek SF, Wolfe P, McDermott MT. Vitamin D intervention by pharmacists in geriatric outpatients. J Am Pharm Assoc 2008; 48:501-7. PUBMED
- Vondracek SF, Minne P, McDermott MT. Clinical challenges in the management of osteoporosis. Clinical interventions in Aging 2008; 3(2): 315-29. PUBMED
- Linnebur SA, Vondracek SF, Vande Griend JP, Ruscin JM, McDermott MT. Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in elderly ambulatory outpatients in Denver, Colorado. Am J Geriatr Pharmacotherapy 2007; 5:1-8. PUBMED
- Golightly LK, Jones MA, Hamamura DH, Stolpman NM , McDermott MT . Management of diabetes mellitus in hospitalized patients: efficiency and effectiveness of sliding-scale insulin therapy. Pharmacotherapy. 2006; 26:1421-32. PUBMED
- McDermott MT, Zapalowski C, Miller PD. Osteoporosis Hot Topics, Philadelphia : Elsevier, 2004.
· Diabetes Mellitus
· Thyroid Disease