Mail Stop F496, Academic Office 1
12631 East 17th Avenue
Aurora, CO 80045
I have spent almost 40 years working to bolster the discipline of family medicine through the training of physicians and practice-based research activities, with the ultimate goal of enhancing the quality of care for family, friends, those in my community and beyond. My strengths lie in communications, meeting planning and connecting and bringing people together. Over the years I've had the good fortune to work with a number of talented, passionate individuals who are dedicated to this same mission that has made for good fun and great satisfaction. Currently I am a member of the department's office of strategic communications that is focused on elevating the understanding and worth of family medicine across the campus and beyond, as well as improving communications within our department. I also work with those in Advancing Care Together to better integrate physical, mental health, and substance use services; which includes 11 case studies in Colorado. I am a member of the Triple Aim Team, my newest venture. This 7-person group has come together to help integrate work across mission areas and programs in our department, linking with others outside the department to tackle selected important problems and seize emerging opportunities.
Most of my work has been in the area of primary care practice-based research and has included patient safety; diabetes; behavior health change; practice facilitation; practice redesign; and integration of physical health, mental health and substance use services.
I have worked for years with the Ambulatory Sentinel Practice Network Steering Committee, the Prescription for Health Steering Committee, the Advancing Care Together Steering Committee, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Practice-based Research Network Steering Committee, the University of Colorado Hospital Medication Management Steering Committee, the Colorado Research Network Board of Directors, and the Amigos de las Americas Denver Chapter Board of Directors.
Member, Board of Directors, Amigos de las Americas, Denver Chapter 1997-2005
Member, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) PBRN Steering Committee, 2007-10
SUPPORT(ED) THE WORK OF:
- Ambulatory Sentinel Practice Network (ASPN) Steering Committee, 1982-1995
- Colorado Research Network (CaReNet) Board of Directors, 1999-2007
- Prescription for Health (P4H) Steering Committee, 2002-07
- University of Colorado Hospital Medication Management Steering Committee, 2008-10
- Advancing Care Together (ACT) Steering Committee, 2009-present
PUBLICATIONS AND GREY LITERATURE:
- Westfall JM, Ingram B, Navarro D, Magee D, Niebauer L, Zittleman L, Fernald D, Pace W. Engaging communities in education and research: PBRNs, AHEC, and CTSA. Clin Trans Sci 2012, 5:250-8.
- Westfall JM, Zittleman L, Staton EW, Parnes B, Smith PC, Niebauer L, Fernald DH, VanVorst R, Dickinson LM, Pace WD. Implementing a “card study” to conduct
observational research in practices. Ann Fam Med, 2011; 9:63-8.
- Fernald DH, Froshaug DB, Dickinson ML, Balasubramanian BA, Dodoo MS, Summers J, Hung DY, Glasgow RE, Niebauer LJ, Green LA. Common measures, better outcomes (COMBO): A field test of brief health behavior measures in primary care. Am J Prev Med 2008;35 (5S).
- Parnes B, Niebauer L, Holcomb S, Dickinson LM, Westfall J, Van Vorst B, Pace W. Provider deferred decisions on HbA1c results: A report from CaReNet and HPRN. JABFM 2006; 19:20-3.
- Cifuentes M, Fernald DH, Green LA, Niebauer LJ, Crabtree BF, Stange KC, Hasmiller SB. Prescription for health: Changing primary care practice to foster healthy behaviors. Ann Fam Med 2005;3 (Suppl 2):S4-S12.
- Harris DM, Westfall JM, Fernald DH, Duclos CW, West DR, Niebauer L, Marr L, Quintela J, Main DS. Mixed methods analysis of medical error event reports: A report from the ASIPS Collaborative. Advances in Patient Safety. From Research to Implementation. Volume 2. Concepts and Methodology. AHRQ Publication No. 05-0021-2. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2005 Feb.
- Parnes B, Main DS, Dickinson LM, Niebauer L, Holcomb S, Westfall J, Pace, W. Clinical decisions regarding HbA1c results in primary care: A report from CaReNet and HPRN. Diabetes Care 2004; 27:13-6.