Xiao-Jing Wang, MD, PhD
Professor and John Gates Endowed Chair of Cancer Stem Cell Biology; Director of the Head, Neck, Cancer Research Program
- MD; Beijing Medical University, Beijing, China (1984)
- PhD, Neuroscience; Beijing Medical University, Beijing, China (1989)
- MD Ander Cancer Center (1990-1991)
- Mentor for MD/PhD students, PhD students and Clinical Fellows
- Graduate faculty in MSTP, BSP, Cancer Biology, MolBio, Pharmacology
- Course lectures in Cancer Biology, Pharmacology, Craniofacial Biology
- Molecular mechanisms of cancer: 1) Identification of biomarkers for diagnosis and therapy for human head and neck cancer; 2) the properties of cancer stem cells, transcriptional machinery, microRNA functions; 3) Experimental therapeutics of head and neck cancer with different genetic alterations; 4)tumor microenvironment including the role of inflammation, fibroblast activation and angiogenesis in cancer.
- Normal stem cell fate determination during embryonic skin development.
- Molecular mechanisms and therapeutic interventions for impaired wound healing.
- Mechanisms of inflammatory skin diseases, particularly psoriasis and fibrosis.
- Dionne LK, Peterman E*, Schiel J, Gibieža P, Skeberdis VA, Jimeno A, Wang XJ**, Prekeris R. FYCO1 regulates accumulation of post-mitotic midbodies by mediating LC3-dependent midbody degradation..J Cell Sci. 2017 Dec 1;130(23):4051-4062. doi: 10.1242/jcs.208983. PMID: 29196475. ** Co-corresponding author
- Haeger SM, Thompson JJ, Kalra S, Cleaver TG, Merrick D, Wang XJ, Malkoski SP (2016). Smad4 loss promotes lung cancer formation but increases sensitivity to DNA topoisomerase inhibitors. Oncogene 35:577-86. PMID: 25893305
- Han G, Bian L, Li F, Cotrim A, Wang D, Lu JB, Deng Y, Bird G, Sowers A, Mitchell J, Gutkind JS, Zhao R, Raben D, ten Dijke P, Refaeli Y, Zhang QH, and Wang XJ (2013). Preventive and therapeutic effects of Smad7 on radiation-induced oral mucositis. Nat Med, 19: 421-428 (highlighted by Nat Med Podcast, April, 2013)
- White RA*, Neiman JM, Reddi A, Han G, Birlea S, Mitra D, Dionne L, Fernandez P, Murao K, Bian L, Keysar SB, Goldstein NB, Song N, Bornstein S, Han Z, Lu X, Wisell J, Li F, Song J, Lu SL, Jimeno A, Roop DR, Wang XJ (2013). Epithelial stem cell mutations that promote squamous cell carcinoma metastasis. J Clin Invest. 123(10):4390-404, PMID: 23999427
- Mitra D, Fernandez P, Bian L, Song N, Li F, Han G, Wang XJ (2013). Smad4 loss in mouse keratinocytes leads to increased susceptibility to UV carcinogenesis with reduced Ercc1-mediated DNA repair. JID, 133:2609-166. doi: 10.1038/jid.2013.213. PMID: 23648546
- Malkoski SP, Haeger SM, Cleaver TG, Rodriguez KJ, Li H, Lu SL, Feser WJ, Barón AE, Merrick D, Lighthall JG, Ijichi H, Franklin W and Wang XJ (2012). Loss of transforming growth factor type II receptor increases aggressive tumor behavior and reduces survival in lung adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 18:2173-83. PMID: 22399565 PMCID: PMC3328594
- Hoot KE*, Oka M, Han G, Bottinger E, Zhang Q, and Wang XJ (2010). HGF Upregulation Contributes to Angiogenesis in Mice with Keratinocyte-Specific Smad2 Deletion. J Clin Invest, 120:3606-16.
- Bornstein S*., White R*., Malkoski SP, Oka M, Han G, Cleaver T, Reh D, Anderson P, Gross N, Olson S, Deng C, Lu S, Wang XJ (2009). Smad4 Loss in Mice Causes Spontaneous Head and Neck Cancer with Increased Genomic Instability and Inflammation. J Clin Invest, 119:3408-19. PMCID: PMC2769185
- Hoot KE*, Lighthall J, Han G, Lu SL, Li AG, Ju W, Kulesz-Martin M, Bottinger E, Wang XJ (2008). Keratinocyte-Specific Smad2 ablation results in increased epithelial-mesenchymal transition during skin cancer formation and progression. J Clin Invest, 118:2722-32. PMID: 18618014 PMCID: PMC2447925
* Graduate student thesis work