Karsten Bartels, MD, PhD
Primary Appointment: Associate Professor, Anesthesiology
Secondary Appointment: Associate Professor, Psychiatry
Secondary Appointment: Associate Professor, Medicine
Secondary Appointment: Associate Professor, Surgery
- 10/2004 - MD, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität, Freiburg, Germany
- 06/2006 - Transitional Year, Marshfield Clinic/St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield, WI
- 08/2009 - Residency in Anesthesiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 08/2010 - Fellowship in Pain Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD
- 07/2013 - Fellowships in Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology & Critical Care Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- 08/2018 - PhD in Clinical Science/Clinical Investigation, University of Colorado, Denver, CO
Mail Stop B113
12401 E. 17th Avenue
Aurora, Colorado 80045
Telephone: (720) 848-6752
Our overarching goal is to assess existing and develop novel interventions to improve patient outcomes in perioperative medicine. We also have a special focus and proven track record in successfully mentoring medical students and trainees.
The overarching goal of our research is to use principles of perioperative goal-directed therapy to improve patient outcomes. While our initial focus was on research in perioperative hemodynamic monitoring including echocardiography, we have expanded these efforts to using preoperatively collected data to provide safe pain therapy even after patients have been discharged from the hospital. Our research is highly collaborative, and we collaborate successfully with researchers in internal medicine, family medicine, cardiology, neurology, surgery, psychiatry, pediatrics, as well as basic science. A principal focus of our group is to provide meaningful mentoring to medical students, trainees, and junior faculty – we have brought >10 mentees to their first peer-reviewed publications and have received grant support from ARCS and IARS for our students and residents.
Our research is funded by NIH - National Institute of Drug Abuse (K23), Colorado Department of Health Care Policy & Financing, Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Foundation, and the International Anesthesia Research Society (Scholars Award).
Click here for Dr. Karsten Bartels' publications on NCBI