Cell Sorting Guidelines
Choosing a Sorter
- MoFlo XDP100 - This sorter has a 100 um tip and is best for cell lines.
- MoFlo XDP70 - This sorter has a 70 um tip and is best for primary mouse cells.
- Astrios EQ - This sorter has a 70 um tip, enhanced forward scatter, and a biosafety cabinet. Choose this sorter for primary human cells and small particles.
- Add a viability dye to your stain set to eliminate dead cells.
- Use polypropylene test tubes for both your sample and collection tubes for maximum sort yield.
- Cells should be in a single cell suspension. Cell aggregates are the primary cause of poor sort results. We use a doublet discrimination gate to exclude doublets from the sort gate, but it is not 100% effective which leads to poor purity. Aggregates also increase the number of software aborts and may cause instrument clogs which take to time to clear and create hazardous aerosols.