The summer is always an exciting time for the University of Colorado’s Medical Alumni Association. It is when incoming medical students join us on campus for the first time and begin to realize the vast educational opportunities provided by this esteemed institution. At the same time, fourth-year medical students begin the next phase of their medical training as they interview with various residency programs throughout the country. This is also the time of year when welcome many of you back to campus for various activities, lectures, or events. I want share a few additional highlights from the past 12 months:
- We welcomed 184 first year medical students and presented each of them with a new stethoscope branded with the Medical Alumni Association seal.
- In partnership with the Office of Student Life, we provided first- and second-year medical students with free breakfasts—an added bonus to a busy, rigorous week of coursework.
- The Association awarded its second $5,000 Medical Alumni Association Scholarship to Dr. Jessica Rice (Class of 2016) and recognized her for her outstanding academic performance and commitment to the work of the Medical Alumni Association.
- Through the HOST (Help Our Students Travel) program, alumni from across the United States provided travel and housing accommodations to fourth year medical students as they interviewed with some of the country’s best residency programs.
- We were joined by more than 385 School of Medicine Alumni and friends at A Night at the Opera, a networking reception and Opera' Colorado's performance of Aidia.
- We successfully secured more than $150,000 in much needed support for programs directly benefiting our student population—the Stethoscope Sponsorship Program, the Medical Alumni Association Scholarship Fund, just to name a few.
- Received a generous $50,000 endowment donation to support the Medical Alumni Association's Stethoscope Fund.
The mission of our Association is to help advance and influence the interest of our beloved alma mater, to support current medical students on their journey to becoming physicians, and to provide programs and opportunities for alumni to connect with each other and the School of Medicine. This past year has been a testament to effectively meeting this charge, but we cannot do this important work without you! Imagine what we can accomplish next year and beyond.
There are countless ways to help advance the work of the Association and the School of Medicine, and our incredible network of alumni do so each and every day. Take a moment to contact us and share a recent, exciting achievement. If you graduated in year ending in a 1 or 6, consider becoming an ambassador and invite your classmates to Reunion Weekend 2016.
Perhaps you would like to join our board of directors and help form the strategic direction of the Association. Your ongoing participation is paramount to the Association’s success.
If you would like to participate in any of our programs, support our efforts, or simply update your contact information, please contact our alumni office at email@example.com or call 303.724.2518. We would love to hear from you!
Wag Schorr, MD ’63
President, Medical Alumni Association