Ideal Candidates and Selection Criteria
participants should be in formal leadership positions within a clinical
practice, unit, or program on the Anschutz Medical Campus or at clinical site
affiliated with CU’s School of Medicine/CU Medicine. Candidates may be
physicians, nurses, pharmacists, or administrators, and should hold a title
and/or dedicated funding supporting their leadership roles. We will consider
applications from emerging leaders, who expect to receive formal leadership
roles and funding following completion of the program.
Candidates need not have any prior formal leadership training, as the concepts
presented in CLD are foundational. Candidates who have participated in focused
leadership development programs (i.e., 1-2 day seminars) will also find CLD
We encourage candidates to apply together from a given clinical area. For
example, a primary care clinic ideally should have the medical director and
nurse manager/director apply together, if possible. Candidates must submit
written supervisor support, including clearly outlined non-clinical time to
attend all educational sessions.
The CLD is not designed for experienced leaders; we strongly encourage candidates in this group to apply to advanced, 1-2 year leadership programs focused on education (via AME
), quality and safety (via IHQSE Certificate Training Program
), or research (via CCTSI
), depending on their interests and needs.
clinical faculty and staff employed on the Anschutz Medical Campus or at a
clinical site formally affiliated with CU School of Medicine/CU Medicine are
eligible for the CLD.
Offering: Please contact Tracy Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
1. Cover Letter (Limit: 2 pages)—Each application should include a cover letter. If candidates are applying together (preferred), the group may produce a single, combined letter. The cover letter should include:
• Applicant name(s) and role(s) in the care area (including administrative roles)
• Years on faculty/staff at the Anschutz Medical Campus
• Department or administrative home (to whom the candidate(s) report(s))
• Care area (unit, clinic, or program)
• A brief description (1-2 paragraphs) of the top 3-5 strategic priorities and/or challenges within the care area over the next few years
• How CLD will aid the applicant(s) and care area
2. Letters of Support and Commitment (see Appendix 1 for example letter)—Each applicant must have a Letter of Support and Commitment from his/her direct supervisor, which should:
• Comment on the applicant’s leadership accomplishments/potential, commitment to performance improvement and role in the clinical enterprise
• Attest to the supervisor’s support for the applicant’s participation in the CLD through reduction in clinical, administrative or other duties during the 2 required sessions
• Outline how the applicant’s completion of the CLD will support key strategic priorities over the next 3-5 years for which the supervisor is accountable
Formatting: Please use 11 point Arial Font with 0.5” margins. Attachments or appendices will not be considered beyond the page limits. Submit the Cover Letters as a single PDF file to email@example.com
Letters of Support and Commitment should be submitted directly by the letter writer to firstname.lastname@example.org