The department’s activities are further integrated with Graduate Training Programs provided by the University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus Graduate School and by the Graduate School and Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering on the University of Colorado Boulder (UCB) campus.
All members of the Department of Craniofacial Biology have joint appointments in the basic science departments of the School of Medicine and/or the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at UCB, and all are members of the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus and/or UCB Graduate School. Most are members of the University of Colorado Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The integrated research of the department includes:
- Caries Prevention through biofilm modification, novel non-fluoride and fluoride therapies
- Molecular, genetic and developmental mechanisms involved in early craniofacial and neural crest development
- Cancer cellular and molecular biology with primary focus on the signaling pathways involved in neoplastic development
- Characterization for specific transcription factors that regulate vertebrae embryogenesis and cancer development
- Salivary gland biology
- Photoactivated polymeric biomaterials and tissue engineering*
*In collaboration with the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, UCB