Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

International College Beijing

Teach at ICB

Preparing for Beijing

Get Vaccinations

For vaccination recommendations, please refer to the Center for Disease Control website at If you plan to get vaccinations or anti_Malaria medication, visit your physician and/or a Travel Center 4-6 weeks prior to departure to allow time for your vaccines to take effect and to start taking medicine to prevent malaria.

The International Travelers’ Clinic is located at the University of Colorado Hospital in the Anschutz Building (720-848-0165) and has clinics in Westminster (303-372-3444) and Boulder (303-372-3800). Other Metro Denver travel clinics may be found at the following web site.

Peggy Hamilton of the University of Colorado Hospital Travel Center says, “In general, [vaccine] recommendations for China include Hepatitis A, Typhoid and an updated Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis. Other vaccines may be recommended depending upon destinations within China and if tourist travel is expected during the 6-12 months. Parts of China also have a positive malaria risk. Anyone can visit our clinic, we do accept insurance, a referral is generally required from a PCP if insurance is the payor source, however, insurance generally does not cover travel expenses if the trip is work related.”

Consider Gifts

You may wish to bring some university T-shirts, pens, or other university or Colorado paraphernalia. If a student gives you a gift (which is not unusual in Chinese culture), it is nice to reciprocate with a small gift. Make sure the student knows the gift will not influence grades. Some instructors find the gift exchanges too culturally obligating and refuse to accept gifts or favors. If you are invited to a home for dinner, we suggest taking tea, flowers, wine, or chocolates, just as you might in the US.

Packing Checklist (Suggestions)


  • One or two dressy outfits for attending dinners, concerts, and the theater
  • Casual clothes for touring (for hot weather & cold weather)
  • Business casual clothes for teaching
  • A light & a heavy sweater (as classrooms are neither air conditioned nor heated well)
  • A light jacket
  • A heavier coat
  • Hat and mittens/gloves
  • One set of long underwear
  • Underwear & socks
  • Comfortable walking shoes
  • Shoes for business casual or dressy
  • Sandals or other shoes that can withstand mud (especially if there during the summer/rainy season)
  • Shower shoes
  • Money belt
  • Sunglasses

Medicine & Toiletries

You can buy toothpaste, etc., in China though not all brands are available. If you cannot live without something, it’s best to bring it rather than assuming you will be able to buy it in Beijing. You can also buy a hair dryer there, thus avoiding needing an adaptor for that purpose.

  • Prescription medication for the duration of your tour
  • Immodium/Keopeptate/Pepto Bismol or other diarrhea medication
  • Other over-the-counter medication you use often (e.g., Advil, antihistamines, cold medicine, etc.)
  • Moist towelettes (due to the pollution of the city, you may wish to carry these around with you)
  • Toothbrush, toothpaste & floss to get you started
  • Favorite lotions, gels, etc.
  • Basic first aid and medical supplies, such as a non-mercury thermometer (Beijing Made Easy makes additional suggestions here.
  • Alcohol-based hand gel (e.g., Purell, with 60% alcohol)
  • Consider iodine tablets or a water purifier
  • Toilet paper & Kleenex for your first few days Documents & Money
  • Airplane ticket/itinerary
  • Passport with Visa
  • Medical documentation if you have prescription drugs or a medical condition which might affect your stay
  • Your hire letter indicating the length of time you will be in China
  • Health insurance card
  • Cell phone number of ICB staff in Beijing 
  •  Faculty apartment location written in Chinese for taxi driver (see below) 
  •  U.S. dollars for traveling and for the initial exchange upon arrival (you can use the ATMs to get additional RMB)
  • Credit card(s)
  • 10 to 12 passport-sized photos for CAU IDs, possible Visa extension, etc.


  • Travel guide (Lonely Planet China, Lonely Planet Beijing, or Frommer’s Guide to China are recommended)
  • Mandarin phrase book (e.g., by Lonely Planet or Rough Guide)
  • Electrical converters/adapters
  • Laptop computer (optional)
  • Proof of ownership of computer and other electronic devices, if you have it
  • Favorite music (I-pod, CDs, etc.)

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.