- Try to keep an open mind
- Deal with present behavior
- Body language is important
- Use "I" messages
- Choose words carefully
- Avoid questions designed to attack
- Utilize the power of silence and delayed response
- Be willing to say "You might be right"
- Avoid interpreting others' motives
Effective Listening Skills:
- Listen first
- Avoid distractions
- Concentrate on what the other person is saying
- Look for the underlying feelings in the message
- Provide feedback to the sender
- Maintain proper eye contact and body posture
- Communicate attentiveness by use of eyes - - don't glare
- Suspend judgment while you are listening
- Try not to jump to conclusions
- Repeat your understanding of the feelings and content
- Be aware of the other person "pushing your buttons"
- Try not to interrupt or finish sentences for others
The Ombuds Office is not
authorized to accept notice of claims against the University.