ORS has discretionary funding to encourage and
support creative activities on the downtown campus. We are committed to
awarding such funds to increase faculty productivity and to enhance CU Denver’s
reputation. (See links below)
Both smaller and larger proposals
are described in the ORS Funding Announcement pdf below. Proposals are evaluated by a standing committee that consists of ORS personnel as well as some
outsiders, all of whom have broad experience in evaluating proposals, but whose backgrounds vary widely. It is critical, given these broad backgrounds, that you address your porposal to that group in understandable terms for a lay audience. We will not fund
proposals that are not broadly understood.
have other funding needs that may not be met by our grant programs (e.g., matching commitments, infrastructural needs (equipment, etc.)). We will try to help meet such needs when (1) a clear connection
between a request and the development of your scholarly/creative activities warrants and
(2) if ORS can identify funds to help. Contact Bob Damrauer to arrange a
time to meet.2
These meetings to chat about your work and your ideas about how the Office of Research
Services can better serve you are scheduled monthly with Bob Damrauer and Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research and Creative
Activities Michael Jenson in LSC 300 at noon.
Friday, August 22
Monday, September 15
Tuesday, October 21
Wednesday, November 19
Wednesday, December 17
Friday, January 1
All of us in ORS are happy to meet with you if an individual meeting rather than a drop-in better suits
you, just let any of us know to schedule a time to meet.
Small Grants Awarded:
- Jody Beck, CAP - Landscape Architecture, $2,500 "Pilot Study: Inventory of the Urban Agricultural Potential for the Denver Metropolitan Area"
- Michelle Carpenter, CAM - Visual Arts, $500 "Driven to Ride"
- Ryan Crewe, CLAS - History, $1,000 "From the Moluccas to Mexico: Religious Geopolitics and Global Mestizaje in the Transpacific Inquisition Trial of a Moluccan Soldier, 1580-1650"
- Vinit Desai, BUS, $2,500 "Organizational Recidivism and Forgetting"
- Andras Lema-Hincapie, CLAS - Modern Languages, $3,000 "Don Quixote in the American West: A Fourth-Centenary Celebration (1615-2015)"
- Jeremy Nemeth, CAP - Planning and Design, $2,981 "Toward Equitable Recovery: Affordable Housing after the 2013 Colorado Floods"
Large Grants Awarded:
- Michelle Carpenter, CAM - Visual Arts, $8,000 "What the Doctor Didn't Tell Me..."
- Carrie Makarewicz / Jeremy Nemeth, CAP - Planning and Design, $12,000 "Income, Community Development, and Trasit Quality in the Denver Region"
- Indrani Pal, CEAS - Civil Engineering, $10,000 "Global Food-Water System: Mapping the Vulnerability of Major Crop Producers to Climate Shocks"
- Christopher Phiel, CLAS - Biology, $16,000 "A Novel Role for GSK-3a in the Prevention of Neurodegenerative Disorders"
- Douglas Shepherd / Raibatak Das, CLAS - Physics / Biology, $12,500 "Multi-scale Measurement and Modeling of Cellular Responses to External Stimuli"