Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

University of Colorado Denver

Financial Aid for International Students

Most international students are not eligible for federal student aid programs. However, some eligible non-citizens may be eligible, provided they are in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a citizen or lawful permanent resident, as evidenced by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Read "Information for International Students Wishing to Attend College in the United States."


Qualifying for Financial Aid

You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

  • U.S. citizens
  • U.S. nationals
  • U.S. permanent residents
  • Citizens of the Freely Associated States; the Federated States of Micronesia and the republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands;

If you are not in any of the above categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum Granted
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
  • Conditional Entrant: (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Parolee: (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are intending to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.)

Please contact the International Scholars and Students Office (ISSO) for further information about how your citizenship status may affect your eligibility for federal aid.


School of Dentistry International Student Program (ISP)

Students in this program must meet the above criteria to be eligible for federal financial aid. We recommend students assess their eligibility to obtain federal loans or alternative loans before entering the program.