Skip to main content
Sign In

Frequently Asked Questions

for Current and Future Students

If you have searched our website and are still not finding the answers to your questions, please let us know. We're here to help you through the process of starting, succeeding in, and completing your graduate program.

You can e-mail us at​ or call 303.724.4613.

​FAQs for Prospective Students

 When is my application due?

Each program requires a different application deadline, please review the application requirem​ents page - visit​ for details​​​​​​.​13

 Who do I contact for assistance?

Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for assistance with admissions, courses, registration and general advising - or 303.724.4613.​14

 Is the GRE required?

​If you are applying for the MPH or DrPH program, the GRE is not required as part of your admission and is optional. Applicants to the ColoradoSPH MPH and DrPH programs may include GRE scores as a part of their application if they feel their scores will strengthen their application. Applicants who choose not to submit standardized test scores will not be penalized in the application review process. ​15

 I sent my transcripts to SOPHAS, but just received an email that they are missing.

Please confirm with your Registrar’s Office that your transcript was sent to SOPHAS (either by mail or electronically). Account for the time it will take for your transcript to arrive and for SOPHAS to process (up to 7 business days). More detailed information about sending transcripts to SOPHAS can be found in the SOPHAS Applicant Help Center, accessible through the question mark icon in your application tool bar. ​​1

 What types of assistantships are available with ColoradoSPH?

There are various assistantships (research, teaching, graduate) available through ColoradoSPH; the types of assistantships and how you go about obtaining them vary from campus to campus. ​2

 Does ColoradoSPH offer application fee waivers?

No, but SOPHAS does offer fee waivers. More information is available here​.​​3

 How long will it take for my application to be reviewed?

MPH applications typically start getting reviewed one or two weeks after the preferred deadline of January 15th, and then on a rolling basis. Once your application is complete and verified within SOPHAS, you usually receive a decision within 3 weeks or so. If you feel it is taking too long, please contact us at​

MS, PhD, and DrPH application review usually takes several weeks. 

Certificate applications are reviewed approximately 1 week after the deadline. You should receive a decision 2 – 3 weeks after.  

 Are the certificates eligible for Financial Aid?

At this time Public Health Sciences, Global Public Health, Maternal and Child Health, Latino Health, Population Mental Health & Wellbeing, Public Health Preparedness & Disaster Response, and Total Worker Health are eligible. 

Applied Biostatistics, Health Analytics & Data Analytics, and American Indian & Alaskan Native Health are not yet eligible.


 What is the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score?

75 is the minimum TOEFL score. 6.5 is the minimum IELTS score. 


 How do I know when classes start or when add/drop ends?

The Academic Calendar can be accessed on this Student Resource webpage. ​​7

 I am interested in visiting campus. How do I set this up?

We have scheduled events posted on our Visit Our Campuses webpage. If you would like to set up an appointment for a different date, please contact us at​8

 When is my application due?

Visit our How to Apply webpage​ and choose your degree program to find your deadline.9

 Is there a supplemental application in addition to the SOPHAS application?


 Can I defer admission?

Deferments are typically only offered for medical or military reasons. If you have an extenuating circumstance that you believe should be considered, please contact the Office of Admissions & Student Affairs. ​11

 How can I submit a final undergraduate transcript with my application if I will not graduate until spring?

Please submit a transcript now for review; we will ask you to send a degree-bearing transcript once your degree has been conferred. ​12

FAQs for Current & Admitted Students​

 When does my scholarship get credited to my account?

Your scholarship will be credited to your account after the add/drop date. You should calculate your portion of your bill and pay that to avoid any late fees.​3

 Who do I contact with questions about my bill?

 Can I audit a ColoradoSPH course?

No. The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus does not permit auditing of classes. You can request to take a course for no credit. The appropriate form is available through the Registrar’s Office​5

 As a current or former ColoradoSPH student, how do I order a transcript?

Unofficial transcripts can be viewed in your student portal under Academics, then View Unofficial Transcript. You can order a transcript by clicking on Registration/Records, and then clicking Request a Transcript.6

 How do I know when classes start or when add/drop ends?

The Academic Calendar can be accessed on this Student Resource webpage​7

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - What kind of resources are available for grad students? Tutoring? Food pantry?

​Food pantry: Yes, we have a food pantry which is open 24/7 and completely confidential. Simply bring your current student ID and check in at the main desk. Available items can include non-perishable food, pet food, and hygiene items.

Tutoring:  Enrolled students the office of Academic and Student affairs regarding the subject on which you feel you need additional help, and we can connect you with academic supports.
For more information about resources available to students at CU Anschutz, please visit this page:

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - What opportunities are there to get involved, such as student organizations?

​The main overarching student organization at the ColoradoSPH is the ColoradoSPH student council. Each home campus has their own representative student council.

There are many additional opportunities to get involved, including ColoradoSPH Rocky Mountain Public Health Case Competition, the Emerging Leaders Conference, Peer Mentoring, departmental and program-based affinity groups, research, etc.

For a list of CU Anschutz campus-based student organizations, see this page:

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - Is it possible to maintain a full-time job and be a full-time student?

​We do have students who successfully work full time and maintain a full course load. Whether this works for you will depend on many factors, most of all your personal time management.

Some additional guidance to help you think this through: we consider full time to be 9 credits per fall and spring semester, and 3 credits per summer semester (this is a higher threshold than is used by financial aid for full-time). We recommend budgeting approximately 3 hours per week outside of class per credit hour. So, a student taking 9 credits of coursework should plan to spend 9 hours per week in class, and 27 hours per week outside of class. Ultimately, it’s up to you to determine whether this is feasible for you.

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - Will we receive RTD student passes?

​Students at the Anschutz Campus will receive RTD student passes as a part of your student fees.

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - Is it possible to transfer into a different MPH concentration?

​Yes. If you find that you would like to transfer to a different MPH concentration, you will need to be admitted to that concentration. The process for this varies based on where you are in the pro

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - Can we begin classes as a new student this summer or do we have to wait until the fall?

We can set you up for either summer or fall as your first term of enrollment. However, if you’ve told us that you would like to matriculate in fall, you won’t be able to register in Summer 2020. If you need to change your start term, please contact us at


 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - How do we get involved with student council?

​You can apply to be a part of Student Council at 14

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - How can we get involved in volunteering to help currently?

​Our ColoradoSPH students have been engaged in significant volunteer efforts in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, including registration in a one-credit volunteer course. For liability reasons, you won’t be able to participate in ColoradoSPH student volunteer efforts until you have matriculated into the program. However, we are connected to some local organizations who are accepting non-student volunteers. For opportunities like these, please visit

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - Are dual concentrations common within the program?

​Dual concentrations are possible, though not common. Most of our programs have a balance of required concentration coursework. 16

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - Is it possible to start out as an online student this fall and then become full time in person in the spring?

​Yes. We offer both in-person and online coursework each semester, and all students are welcome to enroll in in-person or online courses to meet their needs. Starting in fall semester with online coursework, and then transitioning to in-person coursework in spring might be a good option for an out-of-state student who is concerned about being able to move to Colorado in time for the start of fall semester. Please feel free to reach out to if you would like to discuss your specific course plan.

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - What times are in person classes typically offered? Is there somewhere we can go to look at class offerings for the fall?

​Classes are offered at a variety of times at the CU Anschutz and CSU campuses; most in-person courses at UNC are offered in the evenings to accommodate working professionals. You can visit this page to see the current ColoradoSPH course schedule, including the times and locations of each course.

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - Is it too late to apply for scholarships for the fall semester?

​You are automatically considered for most scholarships that we offer when you submit your application. Detailed information about all scholarships can be found on our website. Scholarships are administered through our school, not the Office of Financial Aid. If you receive a scholarship, you will be notified by our school via email. Every department makes their own decisions regarding scholarships. Departments start to send out scholarship offers in February; offers may continue throughout the admissions cycle (through May). Scholarship amounts vary, but we usually see scholarships offered in amounts from $2,000 up to $10,000.

If you are interested in federal student aid, please complete the FAFSA. The FAFSA school code is 004508. Once you complete the FAFSA, you will be able to get an estimate of your student loan amounts through the Office of Financial Aid. Please not that you will need to accept your offer of admission (nonbinding) before you will receive information from the university about your financial aid package.

 (CU Anschutz Experience ColoradoSPH FAQ) - If we do have a full time job, how would you suggest coordinating the required practicum that may require taking PTO from work?

​When you reach this point in your MPH program, you should discuss your specific case with the ColoradoSPH Practicum Coordinator, who can help you find options that will suit you. It can be done!

 When is my application due?

Each program requires a different application deadline, please review the application requirements page - visit for details​1

 Who do I contact for assistance?

​Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for assistance with admissions, courses, registration and general advising - or 303.724.4613



Colorado School of Public Health

13001 E. 17th Place​
Mail Stop B119
Aurora, CO 80045


© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.