Skip to main content
Sign In

Veteran & Military Connected Students

The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office is here to support our veterans, active duty personnel, and family members of veterans and active duty personnel. Students that plan to use veterans benefits should contact the CU Denver Veteran & Military Student Services Office to ensure required paperwork has been completed. If we may assist you with questions, contact us or schedule an appointment with an advisor. 

Apply for financial aid

We encourage all students who are eligible to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The application allows a student to be considered for grants, work-study, and loans. To be considered for financial aid with CU Denver, complete the application by visiting and add CU Denver as a school by entering our school code (004508). To learn more, visit our applying for financial aid webpage.

Impacts of veterans benefits on financial aid
Students may use both veterans benefits and financial aid to pay for their education. Upon completing the free application, a student will be considered for grants, work-study and student loans. To learn more about the types of aid we offer, visit our types of aid webpage.

Reporting veterans benefits on the FAFSA
Most veterans education benefits will not impact a student’s eligibility for financial aid and should not be reported on the FAFSA. To learn more about the benefits that should not be reported on the FAFSA, visit our benefits page.  You do need to report non-education veterans benefits on the FAFSA. Non-education benefits include: disability, death pension, dependency indemnity compensation and/or VA work-study allowances.

Reporting combat pay on the FAFSA
Do not report untaxed combat pay on your FAFSA. Combat pay should be zero for enlisted persons and warrant officers (including commission officers) because their combact pay is entirely non-taxable. For commissioned officers generally, combat pay in excess of the highest enlisted persons' pay (plus imminent danger/hostile pay) is taxable. Combat pay that was taxable in your adjusted gross income should be reported on the FAFSA so it will not be used to calculate your aid eligiblity. For more information, see IRS Publication 3, Armed Forces' Tax Guide.​

Veteran status and financial aid dependency status
Applicants are asked a series of questions on the FAFSA to determine a student’s dependency status and if parental information will be required. View the below information for clarification on veteran status for financial aid. Visit student aid on the web to learn more about dependency status on the FAFSA.
For financial aid purposes, you are considered a veteran if:
  • You engaged in active duty (including basic training) in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard), or are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes (e.g., called to duty by executive/presidential order), or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and
  • You were released under a condition other than dishonorable.
You are not considered a veteran for financial aid purposes if:
  • You have never engaged in active duty (including basic training) in the U.S. Armed Forces,
  • Are currently an ROTC student, a cadet or midshipman at a service academy,
  • Are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee activated only for state or training purposes, or
  • Were engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces but released under dishonorable conditions
  • You are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and will continue to serve through June 30 of the applicable FAFSA year.
Changes to financial circumstances
If the tax information reported on the FAFSA does not reflect a student and/or family’s current financial situation, the student may benefit from completing an Reconsideration of Income. A Reconsideration of Income takes into account a student’s current financial situation. Students that were recently discharged or that have had a significant reduction in income should speak with a financial aid advisor about the potential benefits of a Reconsideration of Income Appeal.

Selective Service Registration
To be eligible for federal student aid, male citizens and male immigrants residing in the U.S. aged 18 through 25 are required to register with the Selective Service System, with limited exceptions. The Selective Service System and the registration requirement applies to any person assigned the sex of male at birth. To learn more, visit Upon completion of the FAFSA, service registrations are confirmed with the Selective Service by the U.S. Department of Education.
The Selective Service System and the registration requirement for males preserves America’s ability to provide resources in an emergency to the U.S. Armed Forces. Males currently in the armed services and on active duty are not required to register with the Selective Service (this exception does not apply to members of the Reserve and National Guard who are not on active duty). Individuals may register by visiting To learn more, visit the Selective Service webpage or student aid on the web.

Funding opportunities

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
If a student’s parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, the student may be eligible for additional aid. To be eligible, at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, the student must have been less than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at a college or career school. To learn more, visit student aid on the web.
Kossman Scholarship
The Kossman Scholarship was established for incoming first year students. The scholarship was developed to support descendants of U.S. Military personnel killed or injured in the line of duty, or are a current U.S. military, police or fire service employee or member of their immediate family. To learn more, visit our Kossman Scholarship webpage.