How to Evaluate and Choose a Lender
If you make good choices about lenders right from the start, the whole process will go more smoothly, from application to that final payment. You'll want to compare the following aspects of lender services when deciding which lender to choose:
- Interest rates, fees and terms: How is your interest rate calculated? Can I get a better interest rate by applying with a co-signer? Are there any additional fees for this loan? What are the terms of the loan?
- Customer service: Can you reach a live operator quickly to check on the status of your loan during hours convenient for you? Can you set up an online account and will it show you current information and timely updates?
- Loan application processes: Can you apply online? Is instant loan approval offered?
- Repaying your loan: How soon do I have to start repaying the loan after graduation or dropping below half-time status? Does the lender offer deferment or forbearance options while I’m in school and after graduation?
- Early payment: Are there any penalties for paying off the loan early?
- Repayment plans: What repayment plans and options are available?
- Repayment incentives: What incentives does the lender offer for borrowers who pay on time or make loan payments electronically?
- Undergraduate students: Check with your lender to see if you may qualify for a lower interest rate by applying with a co-borrower.
- International students: Most lenders require international students to apply with a co-borrower who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with a valid social security number.
Students seeking an alternative student loan must initiate the process by contacting a lender of their choice. You must notify the Financial Aid Office that you have applied for an alternative student loan and the lender you selected. The lender should submit a school certification request to the school.
Once CU Denver|Anschutz processes the certification request, your lender will notify you of the total amount certified and the amount and date of each disbursement. Funds will be sent to the University to pay your tuition bill first. Any remaining funds will be sent to you by the Bursar's Office via direct deposit or mail.
(Apply using School Code 004508-00)
Listed below are links to lenders used by students at CU Denver|Anschutz over the past academic year.
We encourage you to utilize the information in the “How to Evaluate and Choose a Lender” section above when selecting your lender. Please note that you are not limited to the lenders listed below. Please refer to your lender for specific eligibility requirements and terms.