Provides an opportunity for high ability high school students in their junior or senior year from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds and those interested in exploring careers and educational opportunities in the areas of research, biomedical and clinical fields, and translational sciences. The program consists of a research experience, trainings and mentoring opportunities to broaden and encourage applications to undergraduate, medical and graduate programs at the University of Colorado.
The Denver STaRS Program is a partnership between the University of Colorado, CCTSI, and the Office of Inclusion and Outreach at the Anschutz Medical Campus.
Underrepresented high school juniors and seniors at Denver East High School and Denver School of Science and Technology (DSST) Stapleton and Green Valley Ranch Campuses
Expose students to biomedical, translational and other research fields to increase awareness of areas and career options.
8-10 weeks, 8-10 hours per week, year round
- Chemical Waste Management
- Regulated Medical Waste Management
- Blood Borne Pathogen
- Lab Safety (other trainings based on research, HIPAA, Laser Safety, etc.)
Based on your individual research experience. Examples include pipet, gel electrophoresis, Immunocytochemistry, DNA extractions, survey creation and administration, how to review scientist papers, data analysis, western blot, etc.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 (preferred 3.5)
- Complete application and essay
- Must be at least 16 years of age by the start of the research experience
- Must be available for 8-10 consecutive weeks, for 8-10 hours per week (no weekends)
- Reconsider involvement in the STaRS program if involved with other extracurricular activities such as sports or other activities. Missing a research day for participating in those activities is not a valid excuse
- Must have a valid and current picture state or federally issued ID (Driver’s license, learners permit, passport)
- A copy of your ID must be attached to the completed application
How to Apply
Please send an email to Christian Valtierra at email@example.com, if you are interested in participating in the STaRS Program.