Developing a new student org is simple and streamlined! In order to complete the recognition process, each organization will need to confirm three (3) officers (who are currently enrolled CU Denver students) and one (1) full-time CU Denver faculty/staff advisor, as well as upload their constitution/by-laws. View the sample constitution.
Finance & Funding: Additionally, students need to determine which of the following recognition types they fall under:
- Affiliated organizations fall under the university tax ID number, are tax-exempt and are required to manage all of their funds through the Office of Student Life (no off-campus bank accounts allowed).
- Associated organizations are typically chapters of larger organizations and fall under their national/local organization's tax ID number. This recognition type operates an off-campus bank account. Student Life does not oversee the organization's finances.
- All Student Organizations (effective January 2020) may request funding for events and conferences through the Student Government Association. The President and Treasurer of the student organization are required to attend a Finance & Funding training offered through Student Life, Prior to making any deposits, purchases or funding requests.
Steps to register your org:
Download the guide or follow the steps below to get started.
- Meet with the Office of Student Life and Campus Community. Although this is optional, this can help you understand what it means to be an organization at CU Denver and give you the best chance to succeed! Email email@example.com to set up a meeting.
- Create a constitution. Sample constitutions can be downloaded or found on the first page of the MyLynx registration form. Note that all constitutions must have a non-discrimination clause as stated in the sample constitution.
- Find a total of three CU Denver student officers and one faculty/staff advisor. If you need help finding an advisor, email us so we can help match you with one!
- Register your organization through MyLynx. Once logged-in, click on Create Organization.
- Keep an eye out for an email from our office. We will review your submission and send your advisor an agreement form. Once complete, you will be sent an official recognition letter.
Important Organization Registration Dates to Remember
- The Fall Registration Period starts August 1 and ends October 31.
- The Spring Registration Period starts January 6 and ends March 31.
- Submissions received outside the designated periods will be reviewed upon the next registration period opening.
- Student Life will be instituting new registration periods for the 2020-2021 academic year. If your student organization wants to return to campus next year you will register in the month of April. You are strongly encouraged to hold your elections for your 2020-2021 officers prior to the end of April so that you can re-register your group. More information to come!