Student organizations promote strong social networks and lasting friendships, student engagement and involvement, exceptional leadership skills, and collaboration and inclusivity. Developing a new student organization is a simple and streamlined process through the CU Denver Office of Student Life and Campus Community!
In order to complete the recognition process, each organization will need to confirm three (3) officers and one (1) faculty/staff advisor, as well as upload their constitution/by-laws. All CU Denver Student Organizations require a non-discrimination clause in their constitution.
Additionally, students need to determine which of the following recognition types they fall under:
- Affiliated organizations fall under the university tax ID number, are tax-exempt and are required to manage all of their funds through the Office of Student Life (no off-campus bank accounts allowed). This recognition type also allows the organization to request funding for events and conferences through the Student Government Association. The President and Treasurer of the student organization are required to attend a Finance & Funding training offered through Student Life, Prior to making any deposits, purchases or funding requests.
- Associated organizations are typically chapters of larger organizations and fall under their national/local organization's tax ID number. This recognition type operates an off-campus bank account and does not have access to Student Government funding. Student Life does not oversee the organization's finances.
Steps to register your org:
Download the guide or follow the steps below to get started on creating your own student organization at CU Denver.
- Meet with the Office of Student Life and Campus Community. Although this is optional, this can help you understand what it means to be an organization at CU Denver and give you the best chance to succeed! Email us at email@example.com to set up a meeting.
- Create a constitution. Sample constitutions can be downloaded here or on the first page of the registration form on MyLynx. Note that all constitutions must have a non-discrimination clause as stated in the sample constitution.
- Find a total of three CU Denver student officers and one faculty/staff advisor. If you need help finding an advisor, email us so we can help match you with one!
- Register your organization through MyLynx. MyLynx is our student engagement platform at CU Denver. To register or renew an existing organization, go to ucdenver.edu/mylynx, log-in, click on forms, and start the registration form.
- Keep an eye out for an email from our office. We will review your submission and send your advisor an agreement form. If everything is complete, we will email you an official recognition letter. Otherwise, we will email any additional step needed from you.