Attention: We're excited for you to renew your student org! We're using this summer to update the ways we support each organization. As you review the various requirements to renew your org, keep in mind that by the time registration opens in Aug. 2019, the requirements may have changed.
All forms and applications regarding the management of a student organization can be found on MyLynx. Student organizations are required to renew their recognition each year in August, via the "transition" feature in MyLynx (if the organization existed last year) in order to become a Registered Student Organization again.
Remember, every org will need to confirm three (3) officers and one (1) faculty/staff advisor, as well as upload their constitution/by-laws. All student organizations require a non-discrimination clause in their constitution.
Types of Recognition
Affiliated Student Organizations:
- are permitted to use the university’s name, trademark, IRS tax-exemption or governmental status, following established university policies
- have access to the university’s purchasing, travel office, payroll and personnel system
- must manage their funds through the university accounting system and may not establish separate checking accounts at any outside banking institutions or credit unions
- may receive funding from student fees through the Student Government Association
- may use university facilities for events or meetings
Associated Student Organizations:
- are local chapters of national organizations that have a presence on campus and want to maintain off campus bank accounts using their national organizations’ or chapters’ EIN numbers.
- do not have access to the university’s purchasing, travel office, payroll and personnel system.
- may not use the university’s name, IRS tax-exemption or governmental status.
- may not receive funding from student fees through the Student Government Association
- may use university facilities for events or meetings.
Check out the Student Organization Policy to learn more about recognition status and finance guidelines.
For affiliated student orgs applying for Student Government Association (SGA) funding, refer to the Finance and Funding Committee resource guide.