All current CU Denver student organizations are required to have at least one (1) faculty/staffadvisor. An advisor is defined as a full-time CU Denver employee: faculty, staff or administrator. Advisors play an integral role in the development of an organization and its individual members. Prior to agreeing to be an advisor, determine the role and time commitment required.
The day-to-day operations of the organization should remain the responsibility of the officers/members, not the advisor. The main purpose for an advisor is to provide guidance, assistance and mentorship for the organization.
In general, the advisor should:
- be familiar with the student organization's constitution/by-laws
- attend at least one (1) of the student organization's regular meeting and events or regularly meet with the organization's officers
- obtain information of events, programs meetings, and activities from the student organization involving potential liability
- assist the student organization with the development of meeting agendas, feedback, and goal setting
- nurture and development the students leadership skills
- model professional attitude and behaviors
- provide continuity for the student organization
- provide suggestions that lead to positive outcomes
- be an advocate for student concerns
- have a general knowledge of policies, regulations , and laws which are relevant to student organizations
- be present at after hour events that the organization holds, or designate an alternate staff/faculty member to be present