Procedures for starting or running a student club:
Recognition for CU Denver organizations occurs during the first 6-8 weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters. All reoccurring student organizations are required to earn renewal recognition and update their organization profile via OrgSync every Fall semester. All information submitted must be current and updated by the organization on a regular basis through OrgSync. All applications will be reviewed by the Office of Student Life and any discrepancies or errors in the application will delay the organization’s recognition.
Requirements for Recognition as a Student Organization:
The Office of Student Life at CU Denver is excited to announce that we will start using OrgSync, a web-based solution to manage our student organizations. Student Organizations will be able to use OrgSync's advanced organization management and communication tools to register student organization and is the one-stop portal for everything and anything a student, faculty or staff member who is involved in an organization would need. OrgSync works a lot like other networking solutions, bringing student organizations together in a common cause and seamlessly integrates the networking experience.
An Officer submits the Officer Renewal form through OrgSync.
The Advisor submits the Advisor Renewal form through OrgSync.
Attend a scheduled Mandatory Funding Training, if the organization would like to receive funds from the Student Government. Please note: Only Affiliated groups are able to request funds.
New Student Organizations:
Register w/ OrgSync. To establish your OrgSync account Click Here.
Register the new Organization through OrgSync.
Have a minimum of 10 CU Denver students as well as 3 officers who are also CU Denver students registered with OrgSync.
Select an Advisor and have him/her sign off on your Constitution and By-Laws.
Upload your Constitution and By-Laws into your organization’s portal.
Attend a scheduled Mandatory Funding Training.
INTERESTED IN STARTING A NEW ORGANIZATION?
Determine the purpose of your organization/have a description in mind
What is the purpose of your organization? How are you going to purpose this to invite new members?
Ex: The purpose of MEISA is to further the education of music industry students at UC Denver through bringing in industry professionals to guest lecture, and mentor the students. We also provide real world experience through concert promoting, volunteering opportunities, and conference attendance. Our main goal is to help bridge the gap between the academic world and the professional world through a series of networking events centered around the music industry.
Recruit members for your organization
We encourage that you have at least five UC Denver students interested in heading up the organization so that you can easily recruit more members when you start the recognition process.
Select an Advisor
Look for an Advisor in a department that is most relevant to your student organization, if not choose an Advisor that has interest in your organization. All UC Denver student organizations are required to have at least one (1) faculty/staff advisor. An advisor is defined as a full-time UC Denver employee: faculty, staff or administrator. Advisors play a key role in development of an organization and its individual members. The organization must include all relevant contact information for the advisor in the student organization application (i.e. name, title, department, email, and phone). Advisors are required to sign off on the Constitution and By-Laws showing acknowledgement of their decision to advise and an understanding of the associated responsibilities.
Create Your Constitution and By-laws
Alongside members of your organization, create a Constitution and by-laws that determines the purpose, structure, and the requirements to become a member of your organization. All student organizations are required to develop a Constitution and by-laws prior to receiving recognition. It is required that an electronic copy of the Constitution and By-laws be attached with your online recognition application.
Note: Any updates or changes to the Constitution/By-laws must be submitted through OrgSync.
Inform Office of Student Life of your Organization Name
Please contact the CU Denver Student Life Office at StudentOrgs@ucdenver.edu to inform them of the title of your student organization so that a portal can be created for you through OrgSync.
Attend a Mandatory Funding Training
Recognized student organizations may receive funding from Student Government. Prior to receiving full recognition, all organizations are required to attend at least one (1) of the mandatory orientations scheduled at the beginning of the semester or arrange a time with the Office of Student Life/Student Government. Contact StudentOrgs@ucdenver.edu for updated schedule.
As an officially recognized UC Denver student organization, the officers and members assume responsibility for the organization and agree to the following:
- We confirm our willingness to abide by all University guidelines, regulations, policies and student code of conduct.
- We agree to notify the Office of Student Life immediately if and when the purpose of the organization changes.
- We individually assume responsibility for all expenses incurred by the organization. In regard to debts incurred other than with the University, we acknowledge that we are responsible for the payment of such debts and that we may be held personally liable for any such debts. In regard to University bills, we acknowledge that we understand and are willing to abide by the University policy governing payment of University bills as stated by the Office of Student Life and Procurement Services.
- We acknowledge that the University, in conjunction with AHEC, determines all matters related to security and exercises control over access to all University buildings.
- In accordance with the University’s policy of equal opportunity, we acknowledge that our organization may not on the basis of race, national origin, color, sex, sexual orientation, or disability, exclude persons from participation in, deny persons the benefit of, or subject persons to discrimination under any of its educational programs or activities.
- To abide by all University Fiscal Policies.