What is Pre-Engineering?
Students who apply to the College of Engineering and Applied Science that do not meet the entrance requirements for that college are automatically considered for admission into the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS). If they meet the requirements for CLAS, students are admitted as Pre-Engineering.
Pre-Engineering students with less than 45 credit hours are advised in the Academic Success & Advising Center until they are admitted to the College of Engineering and Applied Science. Pre-Engineering students with over 45 credit hours must be advised by both an advisor in the Academic Success & Advising Center as well as a faculty advisor in the Engineering Student Services Center (NC 2605).
Why was I admitted into Pre-Engineering?
- High school GPA requirement and/or high school class rank and/or SAT/ACT scores were not within the range for direct admission.
- Lack of appropriate high school mathematics and/or science courses.
- Lack of necessary or transferable mathematics and/or science coursework.
- Lack of necessary 2.75 GPA in all completed transfer coursework.
What are the requirements for admission to the College of Engineering and Applied Science?
- Completion of (but not limited to) the following courses with a C- or higher:
- Calculus 1 (MATH 1401: 4 credit hours)
- Calculus II (MATH 2411: 4 credit hours)
- General Physics I and lab (PHYS 2311/2321: 5 credit hours)
- The above listed courses: Calculus I, Calculus II and General Physics I and lab must be completed with an overall GPA of a 2.5 GPA. These classes must also be completed within the first 45 credit hours at CU Denver.
- Maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Follow all pre-requisite requirements for courses taken at CU Denver.
Pre-Engineering students are required to complete these course requirements within their first 45 credit hours at CU Denver. Students who have earned 45 credits at CU Denver are also required to submit an Intra-University Transfer (IUT) form to the Engineering Student Services Center. IUT forms can be obtained from the Academic Success and Advising Center (Student Commons Building, Suite 1113) or the Office of the Registrar (Student Commons Building, 5th floor). IUT form submission deadlines are August 1st for fall semester, December 1st for spring semester, and May 1st for the summer semester.
For more information please visit the CEAS website.