Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

Veteran Student Services

New Student Initial Set-up

For students who have never used GI Bill benefits before


            1.  Apply for VA Education Benefits

                        -Go to VONAPP (Veterans ONline APPlication) site located at:               
                        -If you are the Veteran fill out:
-VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits
-If you are a dependent (Chapter 35) fill out:
-VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance
2.  Apply for and Gain admission to the University of Colorado Denver
3.  Petition for In-State Residency if eligible. (See ‘Veteran In-State Residency Classification’ on pg. 2)
4.  Fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for grants, loans and scholarships.
- (See ‘Financial Aid and Veteran Students’ on page 2 for more info)
            6. Meet with school and department advisors (Most require an appointment).
                        -To reach the advisors call the Admissions Office at  303-315-2601.
            7.  Register/Enroll for classes.
8.  After you are accepted into UC Denver and have registered for classes bring the following forms into the UCD Office of Veteran Student Services:
                        -DD214 Member 4 (Do not email due to the sensitive information on it).
-Request for Certification/Class Card - Fill out entirely
-Certificate of Eligibility for VA Education Benefit – First Page (If you have not yet received this document, we can take the above forms and you can turn in the COE when you receive it.)
  -OR- eBenefits Summary of Education Benefits - First Page
-Click or hover over the link “View Status”
-Click on your education benefit, print first page.
9. To expedite the financial aid refund process complete the following:
            - VA and Financial Aid Refund Release – You may email( or bring it in.
            - eBenefits Summary of Education Benefits – First Page (see step 7)
10. Sign up for UCD health insurance. Ensure it is billed to your student account. Only sign up for the current semester.
11.  After steps 1-7 are complete the CU Denver Veteran Student Services School Certifying Official will certify your enrollment and you should start receiving benefits.

Office of Veteran Student Services

Phone: 303-556-2630 or 303-556-2745

Street Address: Tivoli Student Union, Suite 124, 900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 173364, Campus 155, Denver, CO 80217-3364


University of Colorado Denver

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.