- Apply for Education Benefits
Apply for and gain admission to the University of Colorado Denver.
- Go to VONAPP (Veterans ONline APPlication).
- If you are the Veteran, fill out: VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits
- If you are a dependant (Chapter 35), fill out: VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Assistance.
Register for and enroll in classes.
After you are accepted to CU Denver and have registered for classes, bring the following forms to the CU Denver Office of Veteran Student Services:
After steps 1-4 are complete, the CU Denver Veteran Student Service Manager will certify your enrollment, and you should start receiving benefits in 4-6 weeks.
- DD214 - Digital Copy Preferred (Veterans Only)
- Request for Certification (Classcard)
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for VA Education Benefits - Digital Copy Preferred. First page (This is the letter that you will receive from the VA about 4-6 weeks after you complete the VONAPP form above, which states your remaining benefits and percentages.)
IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED THIS, WE CAN TAKE THE REST OF YOUR PAPERWORK AND CERTIFY YOU UNDER THE CONDITION THAT YOU WILL TURN THIS INTO US WHEN YOU DO RECEIVE IT.
If you have it, send it with the rest of your paperwork. If not, go ahead and turn in the rest of the paperwork and get us a copy of your COE when you do receive it.
For effectiveness and efficiency, please turn in all of these forms to the Office of Veteran Student Service at once. You can scan and email, fax or hand-deliver this paperwork to any of our office locations. If it is faxed, please notify our office, so we can ensure that we received it.
Online classes & Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits
If you are using Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, you must have at least one class that is physically on campus to receive your full benefits. If all your classes are online, you will only receive 50 percent of the national average for your monthly living allowance, which is between $600 and $700. Possessing an all-online schedule will result in a monthly income loss between $700 and $800. Please, ensure that not all of your classes are online if you wish to receive your full Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.