Mission and Pedagogy
The central mission of Tutorial Services at the Learning Resources Center (LRC) is to promote a collaborative learning environment that supports UC Denver students in becoming independent learners thus assisting in their academic success, retention, and graduation.
The Learning Resources Center's Tutorial Services outright rejects and does not operate on the misconception that a student requesting tutoring has some learning problem, is unable to intellectually excel in school, or has to resort to some type of remedial assistance in order to maintain an acceptable academic performance.
The Center's Tutorial Services advocates a collaborative learning and student-centered pedagogy. A productive and effective learning process requires that both the tutor and the student engage in critical and interactive discussion of the material at hand. By joining the academic tutor in an analytical discourse, students will achieve a thorough comprehension of the given subject, and acquiring their own intellectual authority. In the end, tutorials are designed to foster academic excellence and personal responsibility through the development of critical thinking, academic and learning strategies, and intellectual inquiry and analysis skills.
Open Lab (Walk-in)
Walk-in tutoring sessions are open to all university students.
Spring 2016 Open Lab schedule
Spring 2016 Modern Languages Open Lab Schedule
Scheduled Tutoring Sessions
The last date to request Scheduled Tutoring sessions for the Fall 2015 term is Friday, November 13, 2015.
Students may request Scheduled Tutoring sessions for the Spring 2016 semester starting Monday, December 7, 2015.
During the Spring and Fall terms, students are eligible for one hour of tutoring for two courses
TRiO students can request two hours per course for up to two courses
During the Summer term, students are eligible for two hours of tutoring for up to four courses.
TRiO students may request for three hours of tutoring during the Summer.
Sessions may be scheduled with up to four-six students who are enrolled in the same course/section
How to sign up for tutoring?
Visit the Learning Resources Center located in Student Commons Building AB1 2105. Spring and Fall semester office hours are Monday-Thursday from 8:00am - 7:00pm and Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm. Maymester and Interim Break office hours are 8:00am - 5:00pm. Summer term hours are Monday-Thursday 8:00am-6:00pm and Friday 8:00-5:00pm.
· Check your official Cu Denver student e-mail for status of request.
· Confirm session at least 24 hrs prior to the starting date.
What can you expect from tutoring?
- Tutors are prohibited from assisting students with any assignments that will be submitted for a grade (i.e., homework, essays, take-home exams, lab reports, etc.). This is the responsibility of students. The tutor, however, can assist the students by clarifying the concepts/procedures related to the assignment and/or do similar problems to further the students' understanding so that they can attempt the assignment on their own.
- Tutors assist students through clarifying information from lectures, organizing the course material, working with the students in developing & sharpening study strategies, & the like.
- Students are expected to arrive to sessions on time & be prepared (i.e., bring class materials, complete homework assignments, read assigned materials, come with specific questions, etc.).
- Tutors are fellow students who have taken the courses they tutor. They are not instructors and will NOT lecture course materials.
Tutoring is not an entitlement; tutorial services are subject to the availability of tutorial staff & time.