The Experiential Learning Center (ELC) is your gateway to highly motivated CU Denver interns. We serve as the university’s central point of contact for both students and employers, and are committed to making each internship a valuable experience for all parties.
Our services to you include:
- Providing assistance in designing quality internships that are both desirable to students and beneficial to your organization
- Advertising and promoting your opportunities through Handshake (our online database) and directly to faculty, students, and student organizations free of charge
- Retaining position descriptions in our database free of charge without quantity limits
- Troubleshooting any problems or issues that may arise with an internship placement
- Conducting site visits to better understand your organization’s needs and internship opportunities
- Promoting your opportunities to students and faculty
- Providing internship evaluations and tools to track students’ work hours
If you've never hosted an intern...
and would like assistance or advice about developing internship opportunities, here are three steps to get the process started:
- Download the CU Denver Internship Program Employer Guide
- Connect with our Internship Advising and Coordination Team by calling 303-315-7258 or emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org to get your internship program started.
- Create your Handshake account so you can post your internship opportunities directly to our students who are searching for you.
This Sample Internship Job Description can be helpful as you begin developing an internship from scratch, however, the ELC Internship Team is here to assist you in getting started.
If you already host interns...
and would like to post a position, you can post internships on Handshake.
Benefits of Hosting an Intern
- Increase productivity. Access a year-round source of highly motivated pre-professionals who are ready to put their knowledge to work. Meet staffing needs for short-term projects.
- Get a fresh perspective. Interns approach projects with enthusiasm and will often provide fresh insight into projects, products or processes.
- View potential employees in action. Internship programs provide the opportunity to observe potential candidates’ performance before hiring. You can assess their "fit" with your organization and receive a preview of their abilities.
- Enhance supervisory skills of your staff. Mentoring interns can help your staff develop leadership and management skills that can enhance teamwork and efficiency on other projects.
- Cut down on recruitment costs. Hiring interns that have an established history with your company can reduce your training and recruitment costs -- 77% of interns who are offered a full time job after graduation accept the job offer.
- Retain talent. Research indicates that students who are hired full-time after completing their internships are more likely to stay with the organization for longer periods of time.
- Word of mouth marketing can help your organization gain a presence on campus and develop relationships and potential collaborations with CU Denver faculty.
Get in-depth information about CU Denver's internship program.
Frequently asked questions concerning hiring and employing interns.
Learn more about our program and get useful resources here.
Post your CU Denver internship position. Review the steps to hiring an intern, post your position, and start receiving resumes.
The CU Denver Experiential Learning Center policies and guidelines ensure that CU Denver students have access to high quality learning experiences that integrate academic knowledge and work experience in professional environments.
Each semester CU Denver students can connect with potential internships by attending our fairs and events.