Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In


1.  How do I refer a student?

The preferred method for referring a concern is to use the online reporting form, click the "submit a concern" tab.  If you have questions please call (303) 315-7306. 
2.  When do I refer a student?

If you observe changes in a student's behavior or appearance or a significant decrease in their academic performance you should refer a student. Students who engage in aggressive or inappropriate behaviors, who violate boundaries you have set or who fails to comply with requests from instructors, administrators or others, should be referred. Additionally, students who appear withdrawn, sullen, upset or depressed should also be considered for referral. For a complete list of behaviors click on the "types of behaviors to refer" tab. 

Some behaviors may be a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. When it is appropriate, those cases will be referred to the Office of Community Standards and Wellness (CSW) for review. Working through the conduct process is another outlet for student support. The CARE team collaborates closely with CSW during this process. 

If you believe a student is in imminent danger call 9-1-1 from any campus phone or call campus police. 
AHEC (Downtown): (303) 556-5000
CU Denver Police (Anschutz): (303) 724-4444

3.  What happens once a referral is made?
Once a report has been submitted a member of the CARE team will contact the reporting party for additional information prior to contacting the student. Once the necessary information has been gathered a team member may reach out to the student (this is determined on a case by case basis). During our meetings with students, students are provided with appropriate resources and referrals and are offered additional follow up. 

Some referrals require additional attention. Based on the student's behaviors, those referrals will be discussed with the CARE Team and additional recommendations may be made. 

​4.  If I make a referral, will I be notified ? 

Yes! A member of the team or the case manager will be in touch with you to let you know we have made contact with​ the student. We can answer any general or specific questions you may have at that time. It is important to note that we may not be able to share with you all of the details or the outcomes of that meeting. 

5. Does FERPA prevent me from sharing information about a student with the CARE Team?

No. The Office of University Counsel has confirmed that FERPA allows disclosure of student information to appropriate campus personnel about students of concern. The CARE Team would be the appropriate recipient of this information. 

6.  If I have concerns about a faculty or staff member's behavior, do I fill out a CARE report? 

Concerns regarding faculty and staff are directed to Human Resources. To share your concerns you can contact Human Resources via email at or call 303-315-0182. Any faculty / staff concerns reported to the CARE Team will be forwarded to Human Resources

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.