Under the grade forgiveness policy, degree-seeking undergraduate students may retake a course in which they earned a grade below C- to improve their cumulative GPAs. Non-degree seeking students, including certificate-only students are not eligible for grade forgiveness.
About Grade Forgiveness
Requesting Grade Forgiveness
Canceling Your Request
Only courses offered by and taken through CU Denver are eligible for grade forgiveness. To qualify for grade forgiveness, the course must:
- Be taken for a letter grade the first time (e.g., not taken as pass/fail or for no credit).
- Be lower division (1000 or 2000 level).
- Not exceed the total grade forgiveness credit limit of 18 credit hours.
- Ineligible courses include: special topics, repeatable courses, academic dishonesty courses, mismatched credit hours, and equivalent cross-listed courses. Courses repeated for grade forgiveness must be taken for a letter grade (not audit, pass/fail, no credit). Limited to one attempt per course, up to a maximum of 18 credit hours.
How it Works
The grade forgiveness course must be a CU Denver class for which you have already earned a grade. Students may retake a course for grade forgiveness only one time. Both grades for courses will still appear on your transcript but only the higher grade will be calculated into your cumulative GPA.
To apply for grade forgiveness, you must:
- Be a degree-seeking undergraduate student at CU Denver pursuing your first CU Denver degree.
- Have earned lower than a C- in your prior attempt of a course (Withdrawals do not count).
- Submit an online form to request grade forgiveness. Click here for the form. The deadline to submit the form is the day before the Late Add period begins. Click here for the Academic Calendar.
Your Next Steps
- Contact your advisor to learn more about grade forgiveness and discuss your options.
- View upcoming grade forgiveness request deadlines.
- Review the grade forgiveness policy in full.
- Request grade forgiveness (or cancel a submitted request) using the online form.
Repeating a Course Without Grade Forgiveness
You may repeat CU Denver courses at any point without invoking grade forgiveness. The grade and credits you earn in each attempt of a repeated course are included in your credit and GPA totals and calculations on your official academic record.