It is important the PDO be informed when a postdoc is leaving the appointment. It is the only way to keep the postdoc lists current.
A postdoc's appointment may end for various reasons. Among typical reasons are:
- end of appointment period SPECIFIED in the letter of offer (usual appointments are automatically renewed each year, just like other professional exempt positions)
- reaching term limit set by UC Denver's Postdoctoral Term Limits
- funding sources ending
- termination for cause
- Postdocs terminated for cause must have termination reported on the Dean’s Postoc Action process and be approved on HRMS by the PDO.
- Make certain all appropriate actions have been taken prior to this action. Contact Human Resources for assistance with the process.
Departmental Processing of Terminations/Separations
Terminations (or separations) from the University shall be processed in the normal way as for any University employee, EXCEPT no leave payout is processed; unused leave shall be forfeited.
- Employing unit forwards to PDO at least one of the following termination documents:
- Copy of resignation letter from employee that includes reason for leaving and final work date (email accepted), OR
- Copy of termination letter from employing unit to employee stating reason for termination and final work date, at-will termination ltr.doc OR
- Copy of “Departure” document sent to ISSS regarding termination of visa period.
- Copy of sponsor’s termination notice documentation sent to OGC may also suffice.
NOTE: Please do this about a month in advance, or as soon as possible, so that an exit interview can be arranged prior to the postdoc's departure.
2. Employing unit enters termination row on HRMS.
3. Employing unit requests Certificate of Completion for postdoc (optional).
Exit interview will be conducted, or exit information otherwise collected, by the PDO.