The Office of Faculty Affairs and Undergraduate Enrichment facilitate the nominations for the selection of Distinguished Professors and Thomas Jefferson Awards.
Distinguished Professor Award
The UC Denver policy, Distinguished Professorships, was approved in February 2006. This policy was developed in accordance with the University of Colorado APS, Procedures for Implementing Regent Actions on Distinguished Professorships.
A few points:
- Nominations for Distinguished Professor are due in the Chancellor’s Office by April 1 each year
- A committee of eight faculty members—four from the downtown campus and four from the Anschutz Medical Campus, convened by the office of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (Faculty Affairs and Undergraduate Enrichment), reviews the nominations and makes recommendations to the Chancellor
- The Chancellor sends UC Denver nominations to the President by July 1
The Thomas Jefferson Award
This University award is given to persons who advance the ideals of Thomas Jefferson, which include:
- broad interests in literature, arts and sciences, and public affairs
- strong concern for the advancement of higher education
- deep seated sense of individual civic responsibility
- profound commitment to the welfare and rights of the individual
Nominees should be members of the teaching faculty, student body, or staff (classified or professional exempt) whose achievements reflect superior performance in their normal work or scholarship and notable participation in humanitarian activities. The award is one of the University's highest honors and includes an engraved plaque and a cash honorarium for each recipient. Winners are invited to a Presidential ceremonial banquet, and the campus of the award winner provides additional recognition at commencement.
The nomination deadline occurs early in the spring semester.
The nomination packet is limited to 20 pages and must include a current resume and at least three supporting letters. More complete information on deadlines and the nomination process may be obtained from the Thomas Jefferson Awards Committee, Dwire 352, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO 80933.