Try a self-paced online tutorial to learn about a teaching and learning topic in depth.
Assessment & Instructional Alignment (Online Tutorial) This tutorial introduces an approach to learning assessment using the Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy. Using the taxonomy can improve your assessment system and improve student learning by aligning course objectives, activities and assessments with each other. In this course you'll learn how to:
- write observable learning objectives
- choose learning activities that support your learning objectives
- choose assessments that match your activities and objectives
- use a taxonomy to align learning objectives, activities and assessments
The Resources module also gives you a list of resources and job aids.
Learning Contracts (Online Tutorial) A learning contract is an agreement between a teacher and student that defines self-directed learning projects. Learning contracts guide learning and clarify how student learning will be assessed. In this workshop you will learn:
- What learning contracts are and when to use them
- The benefits of learning contracts in promoting self-directed learning
- The steps in creating a learning contract
Creating a Rubric (Online Tutorial) A rubric is a tool to help you evaluate student performance. Knowing how to create and use rubrics gives you a better understanding of assessment and another option for assessing student performance. Rubrics are a great way to improve communication, learning, and grading fairness. In this course we will cover:
- what rubrics are and how they can benefit you and your students
- assessment concepts that relate to rubrics
- how to create a rubric
- how to judge the quality of the rubrics you create
The tutorial also provides several examples of rubrics and a list of resources where you can learn more.