Disability as Diversity
Disability is important to the diversity of this campus and necessary to consider when creating inclusive environments for both students and faculty. Seeing disability as diversity means understanding the political, historical, social, and environmental aspects of disability identity and disability on campus. This committee seeks to articulate disability in these ways, and our upcoming projects are below.
· designing a website “portal” for disability at UC Denver. This would be for faculty and students needing, or interested in, disability issues. It would provide resources, answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and provide a feedback loop for faculty and students regarding access.
· reviewing how accommodations are currently provided through campus service offices.
· thinking about campus access issues. We hope to bring together a focus group to talk about access problems on campus. This group would ideally consist of faculty, students, and community members, and will focus on environmental, social, and attitudinal barriers. Rod Muth has taken up some of this work and I am in contact with him.
· a longer-range project is thinking about how people with disabilities are addressed in the campus emergency plan.
· provide feedback on relevant policies pertaining to disability on campus, including those for accommodating disabled faculty and those related to curricular and pedagogical policies and practices;
· work to reduce disability discrimination and create an inclusive atmosphere on campus, by assessing and improving the accessibility of the campus (including online environments);
· meet at least once a year with the Director of Disability Resources for Students (DRS) to learn about current demographics and initiatives, and meet with other relevant groups as necessary (CARE, Counseling Center, Human Resources, etc.);
· support initiatives, events, curricula, and scholarship that raise awareness about disability on campus (Disability Awareness Festival, guest lectures, etc.); and
· interact and network with other diversity-related committees.
The committee is interested in your feedback. Please contact us at any time!
Co-Chair - Amy Vidali
||2012 - 2015|
Co-Chair - Leo Bruederle
||2012 - 2015|
||2012 - 2014|
||2013 - 2015|
DisC Operating Procedures.pdf
Agendas / Minutes: