1. In order to be eligible, you must:
- Have received a PhD degree
- Be a Postdoctoral Fellow (job code: 1438), AND
- Be employed at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus or the University of Colorado Denver at the time of application AND at the time of collecting the PDA Travel Funds award
2. You must NOT have already a PDA Travel Award in the current or previous fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
3. Travel to the conference must have occurred within the date range specified for the current cycle deadline. If you are applying for a conference that takes place outside the date range specified for that cycle, you must provide justification for why you are applying during that cycle.
4. You must make a public presentation or act of service. Your plan for this presentation/service will be scored. Some examples of possible presentations or acts of service include:
- Presenting your work as a poster or oral presentation at Postdoc Research Day
- Giving a seminar at the Postdoc Seminar Series about things you learned at the conference/workshop that may be useful in the career development of other postdocs
- Giving a seminar on your work at a departmental seminar series
- Writing an article about your conference/workshop experience in the PhD Post
- Organizing or participating in a volunteering or outreach event
5. Current members of the PDA Travel Awards committee are NOT eligible for Travel Awards.
Applications that are incomplete, incorrect, or not meeting the deadline requirements will be administratively disqualified.
1. The application website does NOT save your answers as you go, so we recommend that you prepare and save in the provided Application Word Document.
2. If you are co-presenting with another applicant, please submit two separate applications independently and alert the PDA via email.
3. Your application will be scored for proper grammar and punctuation. To make sure you get maximum points, contact The Writing Center on campus for assistance in editing your application.
4. Supporting documentation must be submitted as a PDF file. For guidelines on how to save a webpage or email as a PDF, click here.
5. Fill out the application carefully and completely. Applications that are incomplete, incorrect, or not meeting the deadline requirements will be administratively disqualified.
Common Reasons for Disqualification:
- Applicant has already received a PDA Travel Grant this fiscal year or in the previous fiscal year
- Failure to include the correct University of Colorado employee ID number as part of the online application
- The application is written to fund research or scholarly production instead of attendance at a conference or similar scholarly event
- No plan for presentation or service is provided
- The application is for a conference/workshop starts within 2 months of the deadline, without any justification
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: I received my Ph.D more than five years ago, can I apply for the PDA Travel Award?
A: Yes. As of January 2016, we no longer have any restriction on the number of years since receiving your PhD. However, you must be classified as a Postdoctoral Fellow (Job Code: 1438).
Q: I want to go to a workshop on professional development. Can I apply for a PDA Travel Award?
A: Yes. As long as the relevance of the conference/workshop to your career development is fully addressed, we are open to support travel to any academic or non-academic conference/workshop. Please note, if you’re not presenting at the workshop, you must give a public presentation on what you learned from the workshop at UC Denver|Anschutz Medical Campus before receiving reimbursement.
Q: May I apply for the PDA Travel Award if I am attending a conference in the Denver Metro Area?
A: Yes, you may still apply, but you may only request funding for registration fees. Applying for reimbursement for food, lodging, parking, etc. is not appropriate.
Q: May I apply for the PDA Travel Award before I submit a conference abstract? I need the Award to attend the conference.
A: Yes, you may still apply for the PDA Travel Award before you apply to the conference/workshop. However, proof of abstract submission or workshop attendence is required before any reimbursement will be processed.
It takes approximately 4-6 weeks for applications to be reviewed and for funding decisions to be emailed. We thank you in advance for your patience.
If your PDA Travel Funds application has been funded, you will be notified via your official University email address, and you will be sent detailed, step-by-step instructions in the notification for claiming reimbursement. You will complete your travel, paying for expenses either through the University’s Travel Card or using your own out-of-pocket funds, and then turn in receipts afterwards for reimbursement.