Dr. Jan T. Bialasiewicz leads the Signal Processing program in the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Colorado Denver.
Dr. Bialasiewicz received the M.S. degree from Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, Poland, and the Ph.D. and D.Sc. degrees from Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poland, all in Electrical Engineering.
Since 1985 he has been with the Electrical Engineering Department, University of Colorado Denver. Since 2004 he also is Professor with the Polish-Japanese Institute of Information Technology, Warsaw, Poland.
In academic year 1968/1969, Dr. Bialasiewicz was Visiting Research Associate with the Department of Mathematics, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon. In 1997, he was Visiting Professor with the Faculty of Electronics, Warsaw University of Technology. In 2005, he was Visiting Professor with the Catalonia University of Technology, Barcelona, Spain, and Visiting Professor with the Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia. In 2007, he was Visiting Research Professor at RIKEN Brain Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan. For over 10 years he has been cooperating with the researchers of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory's National Wind Technology Center, Golden, Colorado. Dr. Bialasiewicz has over 15 year experience in the development of control strategies for computer control of industrial processes. He is the author of two books and numerous research publications.
Dr. Bialasiewicz is Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, member of Editorial Board of Electrical Review, member of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society's Technical Committee on Renewable Energy Systems and Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado.
Research and education interests:
- Wavelet Theory and Applications.
- Signal Processing with Wavelets: De-noising, Image Compression, Image Fusion.
- Modeling and System Identification.
- Modeling and Simulation of Renewable Energy Systems.
- Power Quality in Distributed Power Generation Systems.
Honors and Awards
- In 2001, Dr. Bialasiewicz received the Scientific Title of Professor of Technical Sciences, awarded by the President of the Republic of Poland.
- The following paper: Carrasco, J.M., Franquelo, L.G., Bialasiewicz, J.T., Galvan, E., Portillo Guisado, R.C., Prats, M.A.M.; Leon, J.I., Moreno-Alfonso, N., Power-Electronic Systems for the Grid Integration of Renewable Energy Sources: A Survey, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electronics, 2006 (Vol.53), issue 4, pp. 1002-1016 is the #1 paper on the list of Most Cited IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics 2006 Papers, No. of Citations=106 (SOURCE: ISI WEB OF KNOWLEDGE as of August 11, 2009). It is also on the list of Most Frequently Downloaded TIE papers from IEEE Xplore, downloaded 1,165 times.
- The following paper: Kelley, N.D., Osgood, R.M., Bialasiewicz, J.T, and Jakubowski, A., Using Time-Frequency and Wavelet Analysis to Assess Turbulence/Rotor Interactions, AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, A Collection of the 2000 ASME Wind Energy Symposium Technical Papers, pp.130-149, received Best Paper Award. Received Best Paper Award.