Skip to main content
Sign In

Transfer Credit Guidelines

We work hard to transfer in as much of your previous credit as possible. Check out the areas below to learn more.



The University of Colorado Denver only accepts transcripts and credits from regionally accredited institutions. The following regional accrediting organizations are acceptable: 

  • Higher Learning Commission

  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges

  • Middle States Commission of Higher Education

  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges

  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

  • North West Commission on Colleges and Universities

If unable to determine regional accreditation of an institution, please visit the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) webpage​.

Note: The University of Colorado Denver does not recognize accreditation from faith-related or career-related accrediting organizations.​​​​​​


 Transferable courses


Transferable courses must meet the following guidelines:

  • Must be academic in nature – ex. Sociology, History

  • Developmental, remedial, religious doctrinal, religious training, single religion, outdoor leadership, student orientation, internship and cooperative education courses are not accepted in transfer

  • Vocational/technical courses are not accepted in initial transfer but exceptions may be granted by the dean responsible for the student’s curriculum

  • Must originate from a regionally accredited institution

  • Be within the allowable time limits

  • If course work was completed at a school not regionally accredited, a student may request that their University college/school consider the coursework for acceptance

  • ​ ​​Must have a minimum GPA of C- (1.7 on a 4.0 scale) or better​​​​​


 Transfer Credit Limits

CU Denver will transfer in as much credit as possible; however, not all transferable credit will apply towards your degree. The Higher Learning Commission (HLC), which accredits this university, requires that at least 30 of the 120 credits earned for a baccalaureate degree be taken in residence at the University of Colorado Denver. Students are advised that individual schools/colleges may have higher residency requirements.


 Transferability vs Applicability

As part of the admissions process, the Office of the Registrar will officially evaluate your credits approximately 2 weeks after admission. All possible transferable credit will be transferred and reflected in your transfer credit report in your student portal. How these transferable courses apply to your specific degree will require a conversation with your assigned academic advisor and can be viewed in your degree audit.​ 


 Military Credits

Credit received through the military as documented on a JST can be evaluated for CU Denver credit via the Office of Veteran and Military Student Services. If any credit was taken and/or received through a regionally accredited university and/or college, those official transcripts must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as part of the admissions process.  


 International Transcripts/Coursework

Non-international applicants that have attended a foreign institution and completed course work must submit transcripts from those institutions.  Transcripts not in English must be submitted with a certified English translation. Once received, transcripts will be evaluated by the Office of International Admissions.

Note: Evaluations by outside agencies will not be accepted or used in an admission decision.


 AP/IB/CLEP Credit

CU Denver accepted credits through examinations. For your convenience, you can access the charts below to view score requirements and credit that may be awarded through examination. Official score reports must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as part of the admissions process.  

·         AP 

·         IB 

·         CLEP ​​​



 Did your credits not come in the way you expected?


First, ensure we have your most up to date official transcripts on file by contacting the Transfer Admission Center. If we do, contact your academic advisor.

If a dispute cannot be resolved between the student and CU Denver, a student is at liberty to file a formal complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education at:​


CU Denver

1201 Larimer Street
Denver, Colorado

Map it

CU Anschutz
Medical Campus

13001 E. 17th Place
Aurora, Colorado

Map it

CU South Denver

10035 S. Peoria Street
Lone Tree, Colorado

Map it


© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.