A Radioactive Materials Purchase Approval is required for all radioactive materials used on campus. Laboratories need prior approval before ordering any radioactive materials from a vendor or receiving materials from another institution.
A PI has been authorized a specific on-hand possession limit that is established by the CIR. This on-hand limit is the amount that any PI can have at any one time as established by their Authorization. This includes all materials that have been used or unused and wastes that have not yet been picked up by EHS. All labs also have an annual limit for the possession of radioactive materials. The annual limit is the maximum amount of radioactive materials the lab may have in one year (January 1 to December 31). If an increase in possession limit or annual limit is needed, complete and submit the "Authorization Update Form" found on the Radiation Safety Forms page.
There are two different types of purchase approvals:
- One Time Purchase Request - For materials that are ordered infrequently or that are ordered in different amounts or in various compounds. A One Time purchase request is valid for 60 days and can only be used once.
- Blanket/Standing Order Request - For items that will be purchased frequently and are always the same. A Blanket/Standing Purchase order is valid for use for up to one year from the day requested and there is no limit to how many times it can be used as long as you do not exceed the lab’s possession limit or annual limit.
How to Request a Purchase Approval
To request a purchase approval from EHS, complete the "RAM Purchase Approval Request" found on the Radiation Safety Forms page. The form is available in both PDF and Word format. Once a request has been processed, an email with the requisition/reference number for the material will be sent to the requestor. Once the requestor has the requisition/reference number, the material can be ordered. Be sure to ask the vendor to include your requisition/reference number and the PI name on the shipping label and packing list. EHS uses this information for timely processing of your package upon receipt at our facility.
If a purchase request is not approved, the requestor will be notified, it may be for one or more of the following reasons:
- Training requirements have not been met. The procurement of radioactive materials is not permitted unless all staff members designated as radiation workers on any of the PI’s authorizations are current on training requirements
- The lab is over its possession limit or annual limit.
- The blanket order/standing order or one-time request has expired.
All delivery of radioactive materials must arrive at the EHS Support Facility. When ordering materials use the following address to ensure that all radioactive materials are received by our facility:
EHS Support Facility
13178 E. 19th Ave.
Aurora, CO 80045
Radioactive Materials Packages
Once the package arrives at the EHS Support Facility, an EHS staff member will process the package by surveying it for contamination and adding it to the lab's inventory. EHS will deliver the package to the lab. Lab personnel must perform a swipe test on the stock vial and document the results. Secure the material from unauthorized access after surveying the stock vial. Along with the package the lab will receive the packing list, waste tickets and an accounting sheet. The Accounting sheet is kept in the lab to account for the amount and types of waste produced and the waste tickets will be filled out and given to the Radiation Safety Department upon a waste pickup.
Go to Radiation Safety Forms to access the "RAM Purchase Approval Request" Form.