Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

Environmental Health and Safety, University of Colorado Denver

Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)

Controlled Substances Management and Disposal

Drug Enforcement Administration logo

Controlled s​ubstances are any drugs or chemical substances whose possession and use are regulated under the United States Controlled Substances Act. Controlled substances exhibit stimulant, depressive, and/or hallucinogenic effects on individuals who consume them and tend to promote abuse and psychological/physical dependence. For a complete listing of controlled substances visit the DEA web site. Management criteria differ depending on which controlled substances "schedule" the chemical is listed under.

Before any controlled substance can be purchased by a researcher, a valid DEA registration number must be obtained from the local DEA office and that number must be subsequently registered with the university's reverse distributor program.

Registration Process
Application Tips
Abandoned Controlled Substances
Lost or Stolen Controlled Substances
Leaving the University

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.