Affiliated Personnel are defined as employees, residents, fellows or students of one of the following institutions:
- The Children’s Hospital
- Colorado Prevention Center
- Denver Health and Hospital Authority
- Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- University of Colorado Hospital
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
All affiliated/local principal investigators, co-investigators, and research coordinators listed on human research protocols must successfully complete the following prior to submitting a protocol:
- CITI Basic course in human subject protections AND
- CITI Health Information Privacy and Security Basic Course
Until both courses must be completed before an investigator/coordinator can be approved to work on a research study.
CITI Basic Course in Human Subject Protections is an on-line course through the University of Miami. It offers immediate access to a self-paced training environment that proceeds in a stepwise fashion, module by module with the choice of either a biomedical or social/behavioral focus. You may choose the test that best suits the majority of your research.
Click CITI to register for the CITI Basic Course. When registering with CITI, be sure to select "University of Colorado at Colorado Health Sciences Center- COMIRB” as your home institution.
To complete the CITI Basic course:
1. Go to the website: www.citiprogram.org
2. Click on ‘New Users: Register Here’
3. Complete registration steps 1-4
· Select “University of Colorado Health Sciences Center – COMIRB” as your Participating Institution.
· Create your User ID and Password
· Enter your name
· Enter your Employee Number (EIN or POI)
· Enter your email address
4. Please provide your contact information.
5. Question 1: Select either the Bio Medical (Group1), Social/Behavioral (Group 2), or GCP, Group 4. (Please select the group most closely related to the type of research you will be doing.)
6. Question 2: Select “I have not previously completed an approved Basic Course.”
7. When you get to the Learner’s Menu, check under My Courses – Status, and click on the “Not Started- Enter” link.
8. Complete all required CITI Modules with a total grade of 80% or better. These modules can be completed one at a time separately, or all at once, as your schedule allows.
9. Your CITI Completion will be automatically e-mailed to the COMIRB Office. Please print a copy of your completion report (under “My Courses”) for your records.
Continuing Education Requirements
Completion of the CITI refresher course will be required approximately every three (3) years. You will be notified via e-mail when you are required to complete this refresher.
10. Go to the website: www.citiprogram.org
11. Under "Already Registered," enter your User ID and Password which you created when you took the original CITI Basic Course. If you do not remember your user ID & password, follow the prompts for "forgot login information"
12. When you get to the Learner's Menu, check under My Courses – Status, and click on the "Not Started- Enter" link.
13. Complete all required CITI Modules with a total grade of 80% or better. These modules can be completed one at a time separately, or all at once, as your schedule allows.
14. Your CITI Completion will be automatically e-mailed to the COMIRB Office. For expediency, please print a copy of your completion report (under "My Courses") and fax to COMIRB.
If you have further questions, please contact Monica Devine at (303)-724-1011 for more information.
CITI Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS)
If your research project involves a hospital or clinic that is subject to the HIPAA privacy and security regulations then you will also need to complete the CITI Health Information Privacy and Security training:
- Go to www.citiprogram.org.
- Select University of Colorado Health Sciences Center- COMIRB as your Institution.
- Register with your username and password.
- You will be presented with a series of questions or options to enable you to enroll in the Learner Group appropriate to your interests or role in research.
- Select CITI Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS) Basic Course
- On the Main Menu page, select Enter or Re-Enter to begin or continue the Course.
- You need to complete all of the Required Modules and 2 of the Elective Modules
- When you have completed the course, click on Main Menu. If you did not pass the course, you may return to any of the modules and re-take any of the Quizzes.
- Print out the Completion Certificate through the link: “Print” in the Learner’s menu to keep for your files. A copy will be sent automatically to COMIRB.
If you have further questions, please contact Monica Devine at (303)-724-1011 for more information