The electronic Research Administration (eRA) provides information technology support for all grant administration functions of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Operating Divisions of the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal agencies. eRA is used by over 100,000 individual researchers and about 9,500 research institutions.
Recent Changes by National Institute of Health (and other Public Health Service granting agencies)
- NIH Electronic Grant Submission: Find out more about the changes NIH is making.
- Summary Statements available on eRA Commons starting 10/1/2005; NIH no longer sends hard copies
- Review Outcome "mailers" available on eRA Commons starting 2/1/2006; NIH will no longer send hard copies to PIs and Fellows
Preparation Considerations (New, Competing, and supplemental applications)
Citrix Server Instructions for Macintosh Users
- HSC guide entitled "Department of Health and Human Services /Public Health Services Grants.gov Application Submissions" (pdf file) contains information on the following topic areas:
- NIH Plan to Transition to Electronic Application Submission
- Preparing for Electronic Submission
- PI Registration in eRA Commons
- URLs of Interest
- Submitting NIH Applications via Grants.gov checklist
- Components of an Application to NIH or other )PHS Agencies
- Online Demo Sites or Tutorials
- URLs of Interest
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sample SF 424 (R&R) Application (PDF)
- NIH suggests allowing at least 40 hours to prepare application package (this does not include institutional approvals, e.g. Routing for Institutional Approval)
- NIH continues plans to require electronic submission of all new and competing applications via Grants.gov by the end of 2007. Find mandatory implementation dates for electronic submission (PDF)
- NIH, AHRQ, and CDC currently require all Principal Investigators to register with the the NIH eRA Commons prior to submission of an application. In the future, all key personnel listed in a grant application will need to be registered. Please send requests for NIH eRA Commons User Names to email@example.com.
- The attached document contains a list of common errors and warnings along with notes on how to correct them.
Link to instructions for utilizing Citrix server to complete Grants.gov electronic application.
Countdown to Grants.gov
Education Plan for Grants.gov
- PowerPoint presentation providing an overview of the transition to Grants.gov. Presentation includes audio. User must advance each slide manually.