A. Eligibility- Students MUST:
- Attend either Jefferson or Sheridan High School;
- Be a first generation college bound student (neither of whose natural of adoptive parent(s) received a baccalaureate degree);
- Be considered low-income as designated by the federal income guidelines;
- Have a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Freshman students who have no yet acquired a GPA, but meet other criteria are encouraged to apply.
In addition, the student MUST also meet one or more of the following requirements:
- Be a member of a one parent family;
- Be the eldest in the family; or
- Have a desire to continue their education beyond high school.
B. Participant Responsibilities- The program is committed to providing its students every opportunity to develop their academic skills, succeed in high school, and gain entrance into an institution of higher education. However, students will gain full benefit from their experiences and fulfill their educational potential only to the extent that they commit themselves to the goals of the Program and actively participate in its activities. Therefore, the Program will expect its participants to:
- Commit themselves to active participation in the Program for the duration of their high school years;
- Attend and involve themselves fully in all program sponsored activities;
- Attend tutoring/ homework sessions;
- Follow a college preparatory curriculum as prescribed by the Program staff and high school counselor;
- Cooperate with the Program's staff in all program related matters; and
- Complete and return all necessary waivers for student participation.
C. Application Process- Application to the Program must be made through Upward Bound staff. Applicants should ensure that they submit the following materials/credentials to the Upward Bound Program. Applications must contain the following:
- A completed Application Packet (including income verification form);
- A valid Social Security Number;
- Parent and student signatures; and
- Two recommendation forms (provided in the application).
Students should be advised that no application will be considered if it is incomplete. Completed applications should be turned in to upward Bound staff. Please note that the Upward Bound Power-Up Program is free of charge. There is no financial obligation for families.