Eligibility- Students MUST:
- Attend a target high school.
- Be a first generation college bound student (neither of whose natural or adoptive parent(s) received a baccalaureate degree.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 at the time of application.
- Complete at least two years of math (two years of algebra or one year of algebra and one year of geometry) with an average grade of "B" or better.
- Complete two years of English (one year must be composition) with an average grade of "B" or better.
- Commit to participate in all Saturday Academies and attend all scheduled classes.
The program involves a serious commitment by students. CU Denver courses are available throughout the day and into the early evening to accommodate student schedules. If a student earns a grade of C- or below in their college course, a prospective college or university may be reluctant to grant admissions to that student.
NOTE: Interested students are cautioned that college work requires considerable time and discipline. Therefore, only students who have completed the majority of their high school requirements, who do not work after school, and who are not heavily involved in extra-curricular activities are encouraged to apply. Students who are involved in extra-curricular activities should only apply if they are sure that any activity will not interfere with full participation.
The CU Denver Scholars Program is committed to providing students with every opportunity to enhance their academic skills and to successfully enroll in the college of their choice. Students will gain the most benefit from their experience if they commit themselves to the goals of the program and actively participate in planned activities. Therefore students will be expected to:
- Commit to active participation in the Program for the academic year.
- Attend all Saturday Academies.
- Attend and successfully complete college courses(s).
- Pay for textbooks (ranging from $50.00 - $100.00 per course).
- Pay for a student identification card ($10.00).
- Pay for daily parking or utilize the free Auraria RTD College Pass Program.
Application to the Program must be made through a high school liaison. Applicants must submit the following materials/credentials:
- Student General Information Form (APP).pdf
- Counselor Recommendation.pdf
- Teacher Recommendation.pdf Forms (at least one must be from a math, science, or English teacher)
- Unofficial high school transcripts
Students should be advised that applications will not be accepted if it is incomplete. Completed applications should be turned in to the high school liaison. Once applications are submitted, an interview will be arranged. Applicants will be notified of the selection decision after the interview process.
For additional information contact:
University of Colorado Denver
CU-Denver Scholars Program
Office: (303) 556-2322