University of Colorado
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Mail Stop C238
12850 E. Montview Blvd.
Aurora, CO 80045
- Member, University of Colorado Cancer Center
Training and Education:
- BS, University of Kansas (Chemistry)
- PhD, Northwestern University (Synthetic Organic Chemistry)
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences. Society of Forensic Toxicologists
- Diplomate #220, American Board of Forensic Toxicology (DABFT)
Clinical / Research Interests:
Forensic toxicology. NIDA supported research in chemical mechanisms of drug deposition in hair. The laboratory is certified by the Colorado Department of Health for analysis of drugs in blood. Laboratory consultation in forensic toxicology.
- Professional Program: Medicinal Chemistry
- Graduate Program: Principles of Medicinal Chemistry, Analytical Aspects of Forensic Toxicology
- Claffey, D.J. and Ruth, J.A., "Amphetamine Adducts of Melanin Intermediates Demonstrated by Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/ Ionization Time-of-Flight Mass spectrometry." Chem. Res. Toxicol., 14: 1339-1344, 2001.
- Dehn, D.L., Claffey, D.J., Duncan, M.W. and Ruth, J.A., "Nicotine and Cotinine Adducts of a Melanin Intermediate Demonstrated by Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry ." Chem. Res. Toxicol. 14: 275-279, 2001.
- Stout, P.R., Claffey, D. J. and Ruth, J. A. “Incorporation and Retention of Radiolabeled S(+)- and R(–)-Methamphetamine and S(+)- and R(–)-N-(n-Butyl)-Amphetamine in Mouse Hair After Systemic Administration.” Drug Metab. Disposit. 28:286-291, 2000.
- Claffey, D. J., Stout, P. R. and Ruth, J.A., “3H-Nicotine, 3H-Flunitrazepam, and 3H-Cocaine Incorporation into Melanin: A Model for the Examination of Drug–Melanin Interactions.” J. Analyt. Toxicol. 25: 607-611, 2001.
- Claffey, D. J., Stout, P. R. and Ruth, J. A. “A Comparison of Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium Sulfide Digestion of Mouse Hair in the Recovery of Radioactivity Following Systemic Administration of [3H]-Nicotine and [3H]-Flunitrazepam.” J. Analyt. Toxicol. 24:54-58, 2000.