University of Colorado School of Pharmacy
Mail Stop C238
12850 E. Montview Blvd. V20-1220
Aurora, CO 80045
Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Building (V20)
Denver Indian Health and Family Services Medical Clinic: 303-953-6606
Sheridan Health Services Medical Clinic: 303-797-4272
Training and Education:
- Bachelors of Science in Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences School of Pharmacy, 1991-1995
- Post Baccalaureate Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences School of Pharmacy, 1995-1997
- Ambulatory Care/Managed Care Residency, Centura Health, 1997-1998
- Fellowship in Teaching and Learning, Keck School of Medicine, 2003-2004
- Fellowship in Education Leadership, Keck School of Medicine, 2004-2005
- Masters of Science in Medical Education, University of Southern California, 2004-2005
The Denver Indian Health and Family Services Medical Clinic provide primary care and wellness for American Indian Families and the Sheridan Health Services medical clinic provides primary care to low-income patients. Services offered by the clinics include adult health maintenance, immunizations for children and adults, primary care of chronic illness such as hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes, asthma, COPD, CAD, heart failure, and non-emergent sick visit care. Clinical pharmacy services have been incorporated into the clinic as a method to optimize cost-effective drug therapy, minimize adverse effects, and ultimately improve patient outcomes and quality of life in the Native Indian population.
My primary research/scholarly interest are in the realm of educational research related to clinical competency/knowledge retention.
Coordination or co-coordination responsibilities:
- PHRD 5075: Pharmacotherapy Self-Care I Course
- PHRD 5975: Pharmacotherapy Self-Care II Coursee
- PHRD 7845: Advanced Self-Care Course (Elective)
- PHRD 7895: Beginning Medical Spanish Course (Elective)
- PHRD 7896: Intermediate Medical Spanish Course (Elective)
I have significant teaching responsibilities in the following courses: PHRD 3030: Introduction to Pharmaceutical Sciences Course, PHRD 5075: Pharmacotherapy Self-Care I Course, PHRD 5975: Pharmacotherapy Self-Care II Course and PHRD 7845: Advanced Self-Care Course (Elective). I additionally lecture in the PHRD 5985: Pharmacotherapy I Course and serve as a facilitator for PHRD 7660: Comprehensive Patient Care.
My teaching philosophy is centered on the concept that I am a facilitator of student learning and that students are responsible for their own learning. Although answering questions may be easier for the faculty member to clarify questions, it promotes passive learning of the student. As such, I tend to turn questions back to the student and work with the individual to attain an answer. I take the time to do this for two reasons, (1) I believe that passive learning does not enhance retention of knowledge to the same extent as active learning, and (2) that this method promotes student independence and problem-solving skills. My teaching philosophy also includes the concepts of respect, accountability, and being direct. I treat students with respect and courtesy and expect the same in return. I expect that students come to class / exams prepared and take responsibility and accountability for their work. I do not try to "trick" students with exam questions, but rather, am direct regarding my expectations. As such, all examination questions are written based on lecture or module objectives and lecture or module material is based on the objectives.
- A 4-week faculty rotation for Pharmacy Practice Residents at the Children's Hospital, Denver Health and VA Hospital
- A longitudinal ambulatory care rotation for the Community Pharmacy Practice Resident at the University of Colorado
- A 6-week faculty rotation for fourth year pharmacy students enrolled in the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience
- A 6-week clinical rotation at the Denver Indian Health and Family Services medical clinic and a 6-week clinical rotation at the Sheridan Health Services medical clinic for fourth year pharmacy students enrolled in the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience
- Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience portfolio preceptor
Founding faculty advisor for the Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPhA). Current co-advisor with Gina Moore, PharmD and Hilda Bi, PharmD. I additionally serve as a seminar faculty advisor for two third year pharmacy students annually.