University of Colorado School of Pharmacy
Mail Stop C238
12850 E. Montview Blvd. V20-1220
Aurora, CO 80045
Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Building (V20)
Training and Education:
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Pharmacy 2007
- Pharmacy Practice Residency, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 2007-08
- Critical Care Residency, University of Colorado School of Pharmacy, Aurora, CO 2008-09
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS) 2009
- Fellowship in Critical Care/Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado School of Pharmacy, Aurora, CO 2009-2011
- Certificate in Public Health Sciences, University of Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, CO 2011
- Board Certified Critical Care Pharmacist (BCCCP) 2015
Dr. Mueller provides bedside clinical pharmacy services for the Medical Intensive Care Unit at the University of Colorado Hospital. He remains involved in antimicrobial stewardship and serves as an ad hoc consultant for advanced pharmacotherapy conundrums regionally.
My research interests include: pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of antimicrobial agents, microbial resistance, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, sedation, and critical care pharmacology. Most recently I’ve researched immune responsiveness in various critically ill populations.
- Mueller SW, Reynolds PM, MacLaren R. Acute Pancreatitis. In: Schwinghammer TL, Koehler JM, eds. Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A Patient-Focused Approach. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2017
- Fish DN, Mueller SW. Chapter 112. Infections in Immunocompromised Patients. In: Dipiro J, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2017.
- Maclaren R, Mueller SW, Dasta JF. Chapter 23. Use of Vasopressors and Inotropes in the Pharmacotherapy of Shock. In: Dipiro J, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2017.
- Fish DN, Mueller SW. Chapter 100. Infections in Immunocompromised Patients. In: Dipiro J, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 9th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2014.
- Mueller SW, Reynolds PM, MacLaren R. Acute Pancreatitis. In: Schwinghammer TL, Koehler JM, eds. Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A Patient-Focused Approach. 9th ed. 2014
- Mueller SW, MacLaren R. Vasopressors and Inotropes. In: Kane-Gill SL, Dasta J, eds. High-Risk Medications in Special Patient Populations. 2011.
- Mueller SW, MacLaren R. Acute Pancreatitis. In: Schwinghammer TL, Koehler JM, eds. Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A Patient-Focused Approach. 8th ed. 2011.
- Mueller SW and Hanselin M. It Takes Two to Vanco. Colorado Pharmacist Society Annual Meeting. Denver, Colorado. May, 8th, 2015. CPE accredited CE for Pharmacists.
- Mueller SW. Dilemmas in the Use of Novel Anticoagulants. Rocky Mountain Hospital Medicine Symposium. Denver, Colorado. October 10th, 2014. ACCME, ACPE, ANCC accredited CE
- Mueller SW and Bridgeman P. Debate in therapeutics: Dexmedetomidine for severe alcohol withdrawal. American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists. Las Vegas, Nevada. December 5th, 2016.
- Mueller SW. Use of hypertonic sodium therapies in the management of ICP. American Associate of Neurological Surgeons: Advanced Practice Provider Course. Denver, Colorado. August 25th, 2016.
- Mueller SW. Pharmacy Year in Review: Critical Care Nutrition. Society of Critical Care Medicine, Annual Congress, San Juan, Puerto Rico. January 21st, 2013.
- Mueller SW. Late Breakers: Critical Care. American College of Clinical Pharmacy. Annual Meeting, Hollywood, Florida. October 22nd, 2012.
- Mueller SW. Drug Shortages: Understanding why and what to do. Lifeline Vascular Access Annual Physician Operators Forum. AMA CME sponsored by Saint Thomas Health. Denver, Colorado. April 14th, 2012.
- Shakowski C and Mueller SW. Implementation of a pharmacist-driven critical care simulation protocol program. The 17th International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare. Orlando, Florida. February 1st, 2017.
- Mueller SW (presenter), Preslaski CR, Kiser TH, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, dose range study of dexmedetomidine as adjunctive therapy for alcohol withdrawal (DATA study). Platform European Society of Intensive Care Medicine Annual Congress. Parris, France. October, 9th 2013
- MacLaren R, Preslaski CR, Mueller SW (presenter), et al. A randomized, double-blind pilot study of dexmedetomidine versus midazolam for ICU sedation: patient recall of their experiences and short-term psychological outcomes. Platform presentation European Society of Intensive Care Medicine Annual Congress. Paris, France. October, 9th 2013
Direct, Teach and Assess:
- PHRD 7085 Pharmacotherapy 6: Infectious Diseases Part II
- PHRD 7995 Clinical Capstone
Teach and Assess:
- PHRD 6985 Pharmacotherapy 4: Infectious Diseases Part I
- PHRD 7885 Acute Care Pharmacotherapy Elective
- PHRD 7015 Seminar Research
- Participate in multiple curriculum wide assessments from P1-P4
Experiential Clinical Teaching:
- P4 APPE preceptor: 2 students per rotation
- PGY1 and PGY2 pharmacy residents: 5+ advanced training pharmacists per year
- 2016 - SCCM Research/Citation Honors Awarded to Mentees (Detry J and Van Matre E)
- 2015-2016 - Chancellor’s Teaching Recognition Award, University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy
- 2014-2017 - Thrice Recognized Honorable Mention Excellence in Precepting Award
- 2014-2015 - Teacher of the Year Award (P3 class), University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy
- 2014 - New Investigator Award, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- 2014 - Innovations in Teaching, Honorable Mention, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- 2013-2014 - University of Colorado Hospital Residency Preceptor of the Year
- 2012-2013 - Research Honors Awarded to Direct Mentees (Foster C, VanderWeide L, Qamoh Y)
- 2012 - SCCM Research Citation Finalist 2013, twice honorable mention UCDAMC 27th annual student research forum
- 2012 - Institutional Preceptor of the Year, University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy