Student Clinical Education
Background Check & Drug Screen
A cleared criminal background check and drug screen are necessary conditions for admission into the College of Nursing.
In the acceptance packet, students will receive a criminal background check authorization and disclosure which must be filled out and mailed back to the Office of Student Affairs and Diversity along with a $65 dollar check made out to UC-College of Nursing.
Students will also receive a drug screen information form which must be filled out and mailed back to the Office of Student Affairs and Diversity along with a separate $35 dollar check made out to UC-College of Nursing. Instructions on how to do a drug screen will be mailed out to students separately approximately 1-2 months prior to their orientation date.
All students intending to participate in clinical rotations must be up to date on their immunizations for student and patient safety. Students will need to have their health care provider fill out and sign the Student Immunization Form and mail it to the Office of Student Affairs and Diversity. Medical records will be accepted in lieu of the Immunization form so long as all requirements are met.
All students intending to participate in clinical rotations need to have an active CPR card (BLS for the health care provider) and complete the HIPAA and OSHA (Rapid Regulatory Compliance) trainings online.
The college offers CPR multiple classes during the first two weeks of classes during the fall, spring and summer semesters and often once a month thereafter. Schedules are emailed to students on a regular basis. Classes are based off of American Heart Association standards.
HIPAA and OSHA are taken by students online on the HealthStream website. Students will be able to log on to HealthStream once registration for classes has closed. There are three courses, HIPAA and Rapid Regulatory Compliance: Clinical I and II.
- Stream Troubleshooting Help
Graduate Program Requirements
Depending on the program, graduate students may or may not be required to turn in immunizations and certifications.
- Non-degree seeking students do not need to turn anything in.
- PhD students must turn in a criminal background check authorization.
- DNP, CNS and informatics must turn in a criminal background check authorization and drug screen.
- ANP, GNP, PNP, MHNP and WHNP must turn in all clinical requirements. (background check, drug screen, immunizations, CPR, OSHA and HIPAA) as well as have an active RN license.
- Midwifery students must turn in all the above clinical requirements as well as an Electronic Fetal Monitoring Certification (EFMC), Advanced Life Support Obstetrics Certification (ALSO) and Neonatal Resuscitation Certification (NRP)
Some clinical requirements need to be renewed periodically once already submitted. Students will be notified by email if and when a requirement is going to expire before or during a clinical rotation by the Office of Clinical and Community Affairs.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD) must be renewed annually
- Seasonal Influenza Vaccine must be renewed annually once available
- CPR must be renewed annually for undergraduate students and bi-annually for RN-BS and graduate students
- OSHA certifications (Rapid Regulatory Compliance) on HealthStream must be renewed annually
- Clinical Requirements Checklist and FAQ for Current Students.
- Stream Troubleshooting Help