- Sousa, K., Weiss, J., Welton, J.M. (In Print) Steering Rather than Drifting: The Colorado Collaborative for Nursing Research. Nursing Outlook.
Carr, K.L., Johnson, F.E., Denaan, C.A., & Welton, J.M., (In Print) Effects of P6 Stimulation on Post operative Nausea and Vomiting in Post-Laparoscopic Cholecystecomy Patients, Journal of Post Operative Nursing
Welton, J.M. (2014) Massachusetts New Nurse Staffing Law, Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(11), 553-55.
Welton, J.M. (2014) Big Data and Nursing Business Intelligence. Proceedings of the Conference: Nursing Knowledge: Big Data and Science for Transforming Health Care, University of Minnesota School of Nursing, Minneapolis, MN, June 5-6, 2014 http://www.nursing.umn.edu/prod/groups/nurs/@pub/@nurs/documents/content/nurs_content_482405.pdf
Baggett, M., Batcheller, J., Blouin, A. S., Behrens, E., Bradley, C., Brown, M. J., Welton, J.M., Yendro, S. (2014). Excellence and evidence in staffing: a data-driven model for excellence in staffing (2nd edition). Nursing Economics, 32(3 Suppl), 3-35.
Jayawardhana, J., Welton, J. M., & Lindrooth, R. C. (2014). Is there a business case for magnet hospitals? Estimates of the cost and revenue implications of becoming a magnet. Medical Care, 52(5), 400-406.
Jenkins, P., & Welton, J.M. (2014). Measuring direct nursing cost per patient in the acute care setting. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(5), 257-262.
Welton, J. M. (2014). Business intelligence and nursing administration. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(5), 245-246. Clancy, T. R., Bowles, K. H., Gelinas, L., Androwich, I., Delaney, C., Matney, S., Welton, J., Westra, B. L. (2014). A call to action: Engage in big data science. Nursing Outlook, 62(1), 64-65.
Welton, J.M. (2013) Nursing and the Value Proposition: How information can help transform the healthcare system, In: Westra, B., Delaney, C.W., (Editors), Nursing Knowledge: Big Data Research for Transforming Healthcare. University of Minnesota, School of Nursing, Center for Nursing Informatics Minneapolis, MN August 12-13Welton, J.M. (2013) Changing Market for BSN Graduates, Health Affairs. 32(3), Online: content.healthaffairs.org/content/32/3/579.abstract/reply#healthaff_el_476418
Welton, J.M. (2011) Nurse staffing and inpatient mortality: is the question outcomes or nursing value? Medical Care. 49(12):1045-1046.
Jayawardhana, J., Welton, J.M., Lindrooth, R. (2011) Adoption of NQF Safe Practices by Magnet Hospitals, Journal of Nursing Administration. 41(9), 350-360.
- Welton, J.M. (2011) Hospital nursing workforce costs, wages, occupational mix, and resource utilization, Journal of Nursing Administration. 41(7-8), 309-314.
- Welton, J.M. & Hill, K. (2011) Should LPNs be educated in hospitals? Journal of Nursing Administration. 41(6), 242-244.
- Welton, J.M. (2010) Response to: Nurse staffing and quality of care with direct measurement of inpatient staffing. Medical Care. 48(10), 940.
- Welton, J.M. (2010) Value-based nursing care. Journal of Nursing Administration. 40(10), 399-401
- Buerhaus, P. I. (2010) Paying for hospital nursing care: An interview with John Welton, PhD, RN. Nursing Economics, 28(1), 49-52.
- Welton, J.M. & Sermeus, W. (2010) Use of data by nursing to make nursing visible: Business and Efficiency of Health Care System, and Clinical Outcomes. In: Weaver, C.A., Delaney, C.W., Weber, P, & Carr, R.L. (Editors), Nursing and Informatics for the 21st Century: An International Look at Practice, Trends and the Future, Second Edition, Chicago, IL: Healthcare Information and Management Information Systems Society
- Welton, J.M., Bandyopadhyay, D., & Zone-Smith, L. (2009) Estimating nursing intensity and direct cost using the nurse-patient assignment, Journal of Nursing Administration. 39(6), 276-284.
- Fletcher, B. & Welton, J.M. (2009) When the “big one” hits, South Carolina will be ready. QST, 92(3), 60-62
- Welton, J.M. (2008) Implications of Medicare reimbursement changes related to inpatient nursing care quality. Journal of Nursing Administration. 38(7-8), 325-330.
- Welton, J.M. & Dismuke, C. (2008) Testing an inpatient nursing intensity billing model. Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice. 9(2), 103-111.
- Welton, J.M. (2008) The economic value of nursing. ANA-Maine Journal. 4(4), 1-4.
- Welton, J.M. (2008) What will hospital-based care look like 20 years from now? LifeLines 5(1), 10-11.
- Hill, K., Welton, J.M. (2008) A failure of leadership. Journal of Nursing Administration. 38(6), 259-261.
- Welton, J.M. (2008) Inpatient nursing care quality: Response to Kane et al. Medical Care, 46(6), 644. [Letter to the Editor]