Bringing Generations of Nurses Together Through History
In January 1991, the Nursing Alumni Association board of directors voted to organize a task force of interested alumni and faculty emeritae to begin the process of building a permanent historical collection to be displayed at the College of Nursing.
Armed with little more than a few photographs and boxes stored in a dusty basement, a small group of individuals with a love of history and deep appreciation of the vital role the College of Nursing has played in shaping the progress of both the nursing profession and quality health care, set out to sort, catalogue and seek a permanent place to display memorabilia.
The Nursing History Center was first dedicated in October 1993 at the School of Nursing’s Ninth Avenue Campus location. With the transition from the School of Nursing to the College of Nursing, the Nursing History Center is now located at the college’s new home on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.
Nursing History Center Committee
Every year, highly qualified nursing students graduate from the College of Nursing at the University of Colorado. These exceptionally educated nurses enter into the workforce and represent over 110 years of nursing history and tradition. The Nursing History Center committee is an all-volunteer group of alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the college, who are committed to collect, organize, preserve and selectively display items which are significant to the history of the college's many years of existence.
The current historical collection includes Coloradan yearbooks beginning 1900, numerous photographs, nursing textbooks, student nurse uniforms, a recording of Florence Nightingale's voice and an early 1900's glass syringe in its original case.
New members are welcome to join us!
The future development of the Nursing History Center is dependent upon donations from alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends of the College of Nursing. Pledge your support now!