Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado College of Nursing

College of Nursing
Nursing History
 

Nursing History

CU College of Nursing


History

A brief history of the College of Nursing:

1898 University Hospital opens in Boulder and Training School for Nurses developed under the School of Medicine.
1901 Mary Lowery, Emma Fry and Jessie Milne are the first graduates from the Training School.
1918 World War I training program for women who have completed two years of college.
1920 School of Nursing BS program established as a five-year option, a combined BS degree and nursing diploma awarded through the College of Arts and Sciences.
1924 University of Colorado’s School of Nursing opens in Denver.
1936 School of Nursing reorganizes and is established as a university program leading to a
bachelor of science degree in nursing.
1942 Post-baccalaureate certificate programs begin in public health, teaching and supervision.
1949 School of Nursing becomes an autonomous school with Henrietta Adams Loughran as dean.
1950 Master of science degree program initiated in public health, medical-surgical, maternal-child and psychiatric nursing for preparation of clinical specialists.
1958 Bureau of Research initiated in the school.
1965 Initiates first nurse practitioner program with the School of Medicine.
1967 Alumni Association reactivated.
Nurse scientist program initiated.
1978 PhD degree program begins.
1984 Center for Nursing Research created.
1986 Center for Human Caring established.
1990 Doctor of nursing (ND) degree program started.
1993 Nursing History Center established by alumni association.
1998 School of Nursing celebrates 100 years of excellence.
2004 Regents consolidate CU-Denver and Health Sciences Center to form the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center.
2005 Doctor of nursing practice (DNP) degree program established.
2006 Fitzsimons campus renamed Anschutz Medical Campus.
2007 Regents approve shortened version of the name: University of Colorado Denver.
2008 School of Nursing changes its name to College of Nursing.
College of Nursing students start classes on the Anschutz Medical Campus.
2010 45th anniversary of nurse practitioner education and practice.
35th anniversary of the Nurse Practitioner Symposium.